Search

Reading

• Public
Started by Claire 06 Aug 2011 9:36am () Replies (15)

Does anyone use I-pads as a listening post option? Are school journal stories recorded as mp3 anywhere?

Replies

• Brent McDowell (View all users posts) 07 May 2013 9:20pm ()

This is great info thanks. I really like those Belkin Rockstar splitters. I just had a new student turn up and all students at her school had their own headphones. This sounds like a great idea.

Thanks again,

Brent

• Neil_V (View all users posts) 07 May 2013 6:57pm ()

NAS= Network Attached Storage... basically a very minimal PC with a huge storage drive accessible from anywhere on the network, but probably having different access rights according to the user accessing it.

i.e. place to store large files everyone can access :)

see https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/ds-audio/id321495303?mt=8 for the DS audio setup of which she speaks?

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 07 May 2013 11:46am ()

Ok Helen for a bear of little brain please explain NAS box - Nice And Simple?

Also totally agree with own headphones and a Rockstar.

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 06 May 2013 11:34pm ()

Our school has a NAS box which was used as a back up, but I discovered the free app DS Audio which allows you to connect to a NAS box and so I've  loaded ready to reads on the NAS box and iPads use the app DS Audio to connect and see all the folders of books for reading.  Can also store music.

• Amy Collins (View all users posts) 06 May 2013 9:14pm ()

If you plug in a Belkin Rockstar it gives you five ports to connect to. These are a cheap solution with lots of options! I have seen them in Harvey Norman at a reasonable price. 

• Tracey Gibson (View all users posts) 06 May 2013 9:04pm ()

We have school journal Journal Listening post, comes as a CD with a web page contents page - I just loaded the audio from this into iTunes and now have it on all of our iPads.

Works really well.  We put head phones on the stationary list this year - I got a good deal from Harvey Norman so managed to get them in the pack for less than $5.00.

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 10:25pm ()

I use my iPad as a listening post in a new entrant classroom since I don't have a CD player.  What I do is put any ready to read books onto my itunes and make a playlist for it.  (They send them to all schools with a CD now). Then I set it playing through my apple tv to my speakers.  I just plug in a 4 way splitter to the speakers, I bought one quite cheaply from Smiggle which the children plug into with their headphones.   Then when they need help I control it from my teaching table and there's no worrying about it stopping or the tape being chewed or CD being scratched.  If I want to talk to the class I just push pause so they can hear me.  Works for me.  You could also record older buddies reading a story or have your big books read by the class to listen back to.

• Brent McDowell (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 11:00am ()

I have just been looking into using ipads as a listening post. I have loaded some mp3 files into iTunes on our school server. I have then used airplayit to stream them to iPads. Streaming to apple laptops is easy to do with the iTunes sharing option.

I'm only trialling this at the moment but it seems to be working alright. Has anyone tried this method before or any other methods?

Thanks,

Brent.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2011 11:33pm ()

I was in a senior class this week where the teacher had bought a Roald Dahl book for the class to read. Her instructional reading group were sitting with her to read the book together on their iPads. If you added an audio copy of the book to this that would be very cool too.

• Melinda Bennett (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2011 9:50pm ()

On twitter as melindamaybenet

Join this group to contribute to discussions.