Search

Powerpoint in google drive

• Public
Started by Tash Jacobs 28 Nov 2013 2:31pm () Replies (14)

Is there a way to open the full version of a powerpoint in the google drive or do you have to download and view in powerpoint?  (like a book creator in readium)

Replies

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 3:14pm ()

if you have the "convert" option on when you upload the powerpoint file, it'll convert it to the Google format, which you can edit or play full screen.

You will lose most of the orignal animation effects,though you can re-animate them in google

If you don't convert, you'll only get the slide view options

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 9:09pm ()

I'll try that back at school tomorrow, dumb question but where is the convert option?

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 3:50pm ()

Uploading PPnt to drive

Is this what you are after?

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 5:48pm ()

Ah ha of course, so it's just a case of having google slids as an app in chrome and then it should work with all animations and recording?

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 5:58pm ()

It opens nicely in slides but I can't seem to get the audio... Any ideas

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 8:29pm ()

Hmmm... May need to reload that... see Eric's comments below... any other ideas out there in cyberspace?

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 9:07pm ()

I' m thinking in future it would be better to have just made it in google slides to start with, but I can't figure out how to add audio... 

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 9:25pm ()

unfortunately you can't add audio to a google presentation, but you can insert a video.

the video has to already be online, so either use an existing video, or upload a video that has the audio.

If the video with the audio you want doesn't exist, you'll have to make one and then upload it, or use some online video editing apps like Wevideo for Chrome.

You can resize the video, but it will only play when you click on it.

Google Docs does have it's limitations...

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 9:29pm ()

in Google Drive, it's the cog icon, on the right side - called "Settings"

Click the csettings icon, then "Upload Settings" then mouse over and click on "Convert Uploaded files to Google Docs format".

this will convert word docs into editable Google Docs. if you  don't convert you can still view files but not edit in google docs.

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 29 Nov 2013 6:17am ()

Thanks so much for this post.  I am in the process of storing files in my drive and was finding it annoying that I couldn't then work on them and had to download again.  This is brilliant!

• JMKellow (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 10:15pm ()

You can also right click on the file name once uploaded and select Open With Google Docs. This will make a new Google docs copy. You can tell the difference as the uploaded one will have a P icon and the converted one has the square google docs icon. This works for Word docs and Spreadsheets as well.
    As mentioned by others you do lose some functionality when converting and some items may move on the page and need to be repositioned.

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 29 Nov 2013 6:19am ()

Again another excellent tip.  Converted something I already had stored in drive and when I went to upload another word doc, because I had changed my settiings following Eric's instructions it converted automatically.  Thanks heaps. 

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 10:48pm ()

Thank you everyone for your help, I'll see what works tomorrow. :) Ultimately I wanted the kids to share the work with their patents and was worried they wouldn't be able to remember how to download at home and maybe wouldn't have PowerPoint at home but some of them managed to show their parents anyway... And they are only year 3/4, pretty awesome really.  Next project will start in google slides. :)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.