Search

Use Chrome book with Flatscreen TV

• Public
Started by Sarah Parker 26 Nov 2013 8:17am () Replies (7)

I have a feeling I came across this as a possibility on the weekend, when I needed a break from reports, but didn't bookmark it[foolishly].  Before I start retracing my steps is anyone else using their Chrome Books for student to show their work on either flatscreen or projector?  I've got an apple tv and we mirror all the time with the iPads.

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 10:04am ()

I have a Chromecast and I am very impressed with it. It is sort like a USB sized flashdrive that you put into wither VGA (with a converter) or or directly into HDMI on a TV and it beams your Chrome tabs onto your display. Nice cos it only beams the tab you want to so could potentially show a resource in one tab to the class while you mulitask and do your reports in another tab!!

:-)

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup

And it works via an extension to do the same with my MacBook Pro! Similar to an Apple TV.

• Simon Bell (View all users posts) 03 Mar 2014 9:01pm ()

Hi Allanah

Do you know where we can purchase chromecasts in New Zealand?

Cheers

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 03 Mar 2014 9:19pm ()

I got mine from through Amazon and YouPost from USA cos at the time you couldn't get them here. And it cost me $86NZ with the double postage to YouPost and then from YouPost to here.

You can probably buy htem elsewhere too but I have seen them on Fishpond.

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Electronics/Google-Chromecast-HDMI-Streaming-Media-Player/0811571013579 for a lot less.

Sigh

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 10:50am ()

I agree with Allanah, and I have also 'cast' from my hp laptop. To my understanding unlike an apple TV it is not OS dependent but works via the Chrome browser. And comparatively cheap though I got my from the US. Not working well with tablets (iOS or android) yet when I tried that a few weeks ago.

• Dave Winter (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 11:40am ()

Hi Allanah and Sarah I have had some good experiences with chromecast at home. Our attempts to get this working in our school network has not been so successful with the aerohive wireless. I think the connection requires ad-hoc and multicast provision something that is not present on most enterprise wireless networks. We will have another go shortly and I will get back with the results.

• Martine (View all users posts) 18 Jul 2014 12:11am ()

Hi Dave, did you manage to get Chromecast working with Aerohive?

We've just had Aerohive wireless installed this year and now looking at Chromecast as an option for sharing to tvs/projectors in our senior classes using Chromebooks/Chrome for Windows. We would be looking at getting Apple TV for our junior classes to mirror our iPads though. Really hoping that this would all be possible with Aerohive.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.