Search

Secondary Physical Education - analysing movement video/photo capture

Started by ian suckling 21 Nov 2013 1:34pm () Replies (3)

I wonder how many PE teachers are out there and hope to get some discussion going!

Decisions being made by one PE teacher at a secondary school are what devices to purchase to best support the practical aspects of their PE and Outdoor Ed programmes. Clearly, they're keen on splash and shock/drop resistance, although the case will probably be what provides this. They know of devices that will do the job, but want to hear others' experiences.

They're aware of the free Apple apps Ubersense and Coaches Eye and wonder how other PE departments are incorporating the use of such video 'freeze frame'/analysis tools. They're curious about how others manage video storage; analysis and write up; and self, peer and teacher review. 

I think what device is chosen is less important than how it’s used. The latter will include: agreeing and enforcing rules of use; storing and retrieving videos and written (or oral) analysis; enabling self, peer and teacher review; designating roles of participants in group work; having a process to evaluate the impact of such tools; student choice and goal setting;  etc. 

Cheers Ian

Replies

• Scott.Paterson (View all users posts) 24 Feb 2014 9:13am ()

Hi Ian, I have ecperience using Ipads for capturing and analyizing movement, some probles are that these apps dont capture at a fast enough rate for say a golf swing... There is another app called burst mode which takes pics... 

our school have not year used them in a curriculum sence but are looking into screen casting and educreations to capture student feedback.  sharing is simple if your a mac user with Ipad and Imac, you could look into some cloud storage for storing video from ipad.  talk to aaron Mead at Paraparaumu College as they use ipads in the PE classroom. 

Hope this helps!

• iDave (View all users posts) 24 Feb 2014 10:16am ()

Hi - here is a couple of links you might want to have a look at as well.  Some ideas for Apps for PE

http://thepegeek.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/id639477625?mt=8

Dave

Join this group to contribute to discussions.