Search

Creating email addresses for students - naming conventions at your school?

• Public
Started by Carol Kendall 13 Nov 2013 1:13pm () Replies (9)

This year our senior students had their own Gmails through our School Google apps account, and were able to be supported via Hapara's Teacher Dashboard.

We thought about the different possibilities for gmail account names, not wanting to use students' surnames or have students too identifiable to outsiders (surnames are not published on our websites or blogs). We ended up with firstname.4digitrandomnumber@ (eg carol1638@). This was OK, until we ended up wondering which of the 3 'Jack's in the class was which number/email, when wanting to email them. This was a pain.

But, what is the solution? We're about to set up new groups of students, and would like a naming convention that is easy for us, but maintains some privacy. What do you think? What are other primary schools typically using when creating student Gmail accounts?

1. firstname.surname (eg carol.kendall@)
  2. firstname.surnamefirstletter (eg carolk@ )
  3. first3letters.surnamefirst3letters (eg carken@ )
  4. firstname.4digitrandomnumber (eg carol8473@ )
  5. ?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• Mike Forrest (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2013 7:30pm ()

Hi Rosie

Using a current classroom number means they may have to get a new email next year. Begins to leave a cluttered digital footprint.

Some clusters are beginning to look at transferring accounts when students transfer to intermediate or college. They keep the identifier and switch the domain name. So identifiers with school initials or references may become awkward too.

Cheers

Mike

• Rosey Kara (View all users posts) 16 Nov 2013 5:22pm ()

I am trying to come up with a plan at the moment too. Luckily I don't have kids with the same names, but couldn't you put the 2nd letter of their last name? eg: jacksm..... and jackst, that may work, as long as the second letter of their surnames aren't the same. 

I am at Whakatane Intermediate school so have a home room class which would be quite different to high schools.

I thought I would have first name+last initial+school initials+our classroom number@...

eg: roseykwis10@...

I think it needs to be as simple as possible for you and them to remember and keep track of. You could maybe use the 3 last digits of their phone number which would be easy for you to track. I guess if you are worried about privacy, that wouldn't work so well.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2013 12:01pm ()

Thanks everyone! This has been really helpful

There are quite a few variations on the theme! Jacinda's and Rob's ideas won't quite work for us because actually there are four 'Jacks' in the class, two with the same initial for their surname, and all would have been entered into GAFE in the same year, and three would have started school in the same year. Reminds me of when there were three 'Carols' in my 7th Form History Class!

I think I'll probably go with Mike's idea, but will run it past the teachers involved. We want to be able to easily identify who is whom, but keep them relatively anonymous to outsiders. In the end, no system will be perfect.

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 9:31pm ()

Hi Carol,

I've used firstname+first initial of lastname@yourschooldomain

We had this where adult emails were in the form: firstname+lastname@yourschooldomain, but when you start getting 3 Jacks and two of them have the same first initial for their surname doesn't work so well!

So, the solution we came to was the year their GAFE account was created this year thus: firstname+first initial of lastname13@yourschooldomain

Phew... ;-)

• Tim Gander (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 7:28pm ()

We use first name - year started school - last initial

That way students can be represrented personally and specifically, as well as being identified by the year group they are in, seems to work well and no confusion.

Eg wiremu13c@gisboyshigh.net or steve10j@gisboyshigh.net

Hope this helps - tim84g!

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 6:36pm ()

We use firstnamefirstinitial@domain. We chose this because it's the same as our staff emails. Their blogs show first name only, no surnames. 

• Mike Forrest (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 4:46pm ()

Hi. We are using hapara teacher dashboard as well. We use firstname first 2 letters, surname first 2 letters, random 3 digit number @ domain.

So Mine (Mike Forrest) would be mifo376@cashmere-ave.school.nz (or some other random number in the middle). 

The random number means students have some control of who they share their email with within the domain. if we'd used 2 digit year of birth,other students and parents would very easily work out their email address, taking away the ability for them to choose who they share with.

Mike

• Melanie Riwai-Couch (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 1:31pm ()

We are using: first 3 digits of first name, first 3 digits of surname and 2 digit year of birth @ ....

Join this group to contribute to discussions.