Search

" You down with PFC"... 'yeah you know me'....

• Public
Started by Togi Lemanu 11 Nov 2013 1:27pm () Replies (1)

Parents, Families and Communities is a new addition to the Pasifika Education plan (PEP) 2013 - 2017. The focus is on more informed and demanding parents, families and communities supporting and championing their children's learning and achievements.

In my work, I have been in schools working with Principals, Senior managers and teachers looking at ways of engaging with their Pasifika communities.  Each school had their own agenda of working with their Pasifika communities, but needed that Pasifika lens to oversee if what they were doing was the right way of doing it.

The Ministry of Education have planned many initiatives to get Pasifika parents, families and communities involved with the school but my question is: 'Are they working'..

We have seen the Home school partnership initiative where has that gone, are those schools that were involved in that initiative gain a positive outcome from that?.

What about the PSCPL initiative?  Would love to hear from people where this initiative has gone to.

One Ministry of Education initiative this year was the Power Up together with other Education Partner agencies.  This initiative was created to 'Power up our kids for NCEA success'.  This was an 8 week challenge for students, parents, families and communities.  By the end of the 8 week challenge this initiative would have built the capability, knowledge and voice of Pasifika parents, families and communities so they confidently engage and participate in the education system:  and increased the understanding of how parents can support their child/ren to achieve NCEA Level 2.  But wait .... it did not stop there.... Pasifika parents, families and communities brought their younger siblings to Power up stations so there were also small groups that catered for Primary students and Intermediate students.  I think this was unexpected but it seemed to work well.  

Pasifika parents enjoyed the sessions offered by the MoE team such as understanding NCEA, they felt safe to use their own Pasifika languages to communicate and they felt confident to question which was awesome to see.  The parents are looking forward to where to next but will keep you posted in my next blog.  

I am looking forward to researching Pasifika PFC further as this will help me with my Masters starting 2014.  

Look forward to your sharing your thoughts on Pasifika parents, families and communities. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.