Search

iPads and Apple TV

• Public
Started by Mike Shorter 07 Nov 2013 3:56pm () Replies (22)

Greetings all,

We have recently installed Apple TV in a few rooms to try it out. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend an app that the teacher can use to control who is using the Apple TV?  We have 3 student ipads and it would be great to be able to flick between them all to see what they were up to and show the rest of the class on the Interactive whiteboard. Any help would be great!

Replies

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 4:15pm ()

AFAIK, the only way to get the functionality you want is through an MDM. E.g. Using the Casper Focus tool with the Casper MDM (Mobile Device Management - this costs.)

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/software/casper-focus

Of course, someone else may have another suggestion - good luck.

Pete

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 5:24pm ()

Not quite what you want:

http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/ or http://www.airserver.com/en/Download# 

No other official way unless you jailbreak.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 8:12pm ()

I think maybe http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/ Reflector is what you want. 

You download it on your laptop- have your laptop plugged into the whiteboard/data projector.

The iPad and laptop need to be on the same strongish wifi for it to work.

Any iPad can then connect and show on the screen.

Double tap the home button and look for the sharing icon. In IOS 7 slide up on any screen and look for Air Play.

You can test if it works in your situtation by downloading the free version which only lasts for ten minutes at a time.

If it works on your school system then you the pretty cheap full version.

In my classroom it used to fade out if I walked around behind the teaching station with an iPad in my hand. I don't think it liked the denseness of it or something!

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 8:22pm ()

Hey Mike -

What Peter said makes sense for a teacher being able to control which student has their work sent to an Apple TV over AirPlay - An MDM such as JAMF Casper with Casper Focus.  The cheap way to do this of course is to explicitly teach your students how to use AirPlay on the iPads, and then ask them very nicely to share their learning with the whole class.  This works nicely in my Year 2 class.  

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 8:51pm ()

Hi Mike

I agree with Matthew in that the children can share using airplay and if your worried that someone from outside the classroom projects in error, all of ours have a password so only our iPads can get on.

• Mike Shorter (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2013 1:00pm ()

Cheers everyone for the ideas I will get snooping and try these out. I will get back to you with what works :) 

Cheers Mike :)

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 3:00pm ()

Hi everyone

This is a bit of crowd sourcing. Have a school looking at preparing to install flat screen TVs in 2014 (hopefully attaching Apple TV's to them). They asked for my recommendation on flat screen TVs. Apart from a rather flippant thought of biggest for the least I though I would just check with this wonderfully learned group to see if anyone had any advice, recommendations, must haves or avoids??

You sort of just see them and don't think about them!

Thanks everyone

Innes

• Robyn Bennett (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 3:10pm ()

Hi Innes

I have a 50" (wish it was ineteractive) with apple tv box. Unfortunately it is on a fixed bracket so I can't swing it out. As a consequence only 2/3 of the class have great vision. I guess my reccomendation is get one on a bracket that will allow you to move it for optimum viewing. 

Robyn 

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 3:24pm ()

Just costed this out in the last week or so: 55" full HD LED backlit LCD is the best size/cost/performance at the moment.

some points:

- (LED backlit) LCD is usually preferable to plasma for viewing in class

- Don't waste money on 'smart' TVs

- you will have them for 5-10 Years, don't skimp on size if possible

- don't buy small for young classes, larger for senior etc. - this may change. Look at room size, text needs to be legible from anywhere in the room if possible.

- tilt and swivel mounts are worthwhile (budget about $200+) 

- don't waste money on brand name hdmi cables (e.g. Don't buy from the place you buy the TVs from), cheap from say dx.com (free freight to NZ) 

- HDMI/displayport is replacing VGA (and can carry sound too in the case of HDMI) and soon laptops won't come with VGA ports, so don't spend money running VGA cables.  In most cases, people tend to use an Apple TV wirelessly anyway (even from a windows machine)

Pete

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 4:14pm ()

Hi all -

We have been installing Samsung 51" Full HD Plasma screens in our classrooms. They are mounted with an angle mount onto the classroom teaching stations. Our teachers then use Explain Everything (and other apps) as a digital whiteboard.  The plasma isn't very reflective and means we can write on them with whiteboard markers. The Full HD is much clearer when viewing text from an iPad through an AppleTV. (We took an ATV and a Mac into Noel Leemings and tested a few different TVs!)

I didn't think mounting the TVs on teaching stations would not be such a great idea, but our teachers have given really positive feedback about it. This also means the room can be reconfigured without worrying about having to factor in amother piece of equipment that can't be moved.

Hope this helps.  Matt

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 6:07pm ()

I'd be interested to see photos of how you've done this, thanks Matt - and others - are we able to post some photos of your set-up. It would be great to have people in the photos so that we can get an idea of the size of screens and teaching spaces. Also the Year levels involved.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 6:49pm ()

I'm on my phone, try this link --> 

http://twitter.com/MattJamesThomas/status/404123518733791232/photo/1

We have these in all year levels across the school, with an Apple TV attached to each one.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 9:26pm ()

Brilliant, thanks Matt. No likelyhood of these toppling (earthquake territory here in Christchurch). They can be moved around the classroom easily? They look low enough not to cause problems with necks straining upwards - how are they for viewing height from around the classroom? Where did you get the station bases from? Some of our teachers are interested in the Sitech (non interactive) models, though I have concerns about the 40" screens (and the price).

Am I understanding correctly.... you use whiteboard markers on the TV's plasma screen...? I can see how you'd use them as whiteboards through the likes of Explain Everything etc.

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 9:41pm ()

We used a 40" LCD TV, with a multi-touch interactive overlay. The overlay is toughen glass, so we could write over it with whiteboard markers if needed. We had the tv attached to a Mac, Windows PC, and Android device and Apple TV, so we could switch between platforms at a touch of a button.

https://twitter.com/wiseguy1/status/347268640690798592/photo/1

As for not toppling over... just make sure the weight  and centre of gravity is behind the TV and as low as possible. it could be that you tilt the TV back slightly... if you do, then make sure you don't get any glare from lights and windows, particularly if your kids a viewing from the ground and looking upwards.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 8:20pm ()

So many questions! We've used the teaching stations we already have in our rooms. They are very very heavy and sturdy. So they can be moved around, but not very quickly.  I personally wouldn't buy screens smaller than 50". Hope this helps!

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 9:09pm ()

Yep - sure does help - thanks Matt!

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2013 10:14pm ()

...if you want to write over your TV with whiteboard markers you could just buy some toughened anti glare glass, and mount over the top.that would also solve any glare problems.

I bought some about a year ago.... for a piece of toughen glass for a 40" TV it was about $120

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 8:12pm ()

Yeah, we really do just use a whiteboard marker to draw on the plasma screens. I don't do it a lot, but it can be quite handy!

• Ingrid (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 7:56pm ()

We purchased Panasonic TV's to run the Apple TV's from but have an issue that DVD's do not want to play from the macbook through the Apple TV.  We can not connect the dongles as there is no place on the TV's to connect RGB cables.  This is something to be aware of when chosing the TV brnad.  The Samsungs in school can be used with the Apple TV and can also connect with the dongles. 

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 8:09pm ()

Hi Ingrid -

We purchased some cheap ($14 I think) MiniDisplay Port to HDMI cables for playing DVDs. But you can also use the VLC app on your Mac to play DVDs through the AppleTV. It works on a different codec to the Mac DVD player I think.  I didn't think it would work (using VLC), but it does! Thanks to Marcus Norrish for the tip!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.