Search

Apple TV's in schools with extreme firewalls

• Public
Started by Gillian May 06 Nov 2013 4:08pm () Replies (3)

Hi everyone, just a quick quesion today. Our Area school has a very strong firewall and our Tech advisor has told me today that we won't be able network Apple TV's through our school network as the friewalls will prevent a connection. Has anyone has had this problem as they started out using apple tv's and if so how did you solve this problem? I have a grant application in for two Apple TV's it would be a real shame if we couldn't use them....

Replies

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2013 4:26pm ()

Shortest answer: Does your tech work for you (i.e. do you pay them)?  If so, tell them what you want.

The mid-length answer is that it is hard to answer either way unless you can tell us a lot more about your network setup.

The long answer is that it depends what is meant by 'strong firewall'.  Typically you will have 2 (when thinking about a device such as a laptop) - on the machine and also a firewall between networks: a small school may have 2 networks (the internet WAN  and your internal network LAN).  If you are a bit larger (or have a reasonable wifi setup) you may have several internal networks (VLANs).  I'm guessing that your wireless and wired devices are on different VLANs - if this is the case, it may work provided that you have both the AppleTV and connected device on wired or both on wireless.  A complication to this is if your tech is actually referring to network switch restrictions which may block mDNS and other broadcast (e.g. Bonjour) messages...

If you can give more info, or even direct your tech to this site, I can help more if required.

Pete

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2013 10:47pm ()

Our school runs a squid proxy and Dans Guardian. It disliked a lot of Apple features such as Siri. We have Apple TV in 4 of our rooms that runs through our Wifi system, but does not communicate with the "outside world" and they run beautifully. You just don't get the YouTube links, movies, music and photo stream. Don't miss them as you can run YouTube on your iPad or computer And no need for the rest at this stage.

When setting up the Apple TV, I had to skip a part that just would go on forever, but it worked :-)

Shona

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.