Search

Indigenous cultures and e-Learning

Started by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu 05 Nov 2013 2:09pm () Replies (22)

Recently I've been having discussions with colleagues around their perspectives on Māori and e-Learning, and Pasifika and e-Learning.  

We've been wrestling with the ideas around how Māori or Pasifika learners see their cultural identities within their learning, if e-Learning is the vehicle/tool/framework through which to raise their academic achievement.

Some concerns were raised around potential loss of cultural identities through focusing too much on the fixation on technology (negative consequence) compared to using e-Learning and technology as a way to celebrate cultural identities.  

Too often the focus can be on the segregation/separation of indigenous cultures and everything associated with cultural identities (multi-ethnic, intra-ethnic, bi-cultural, multi-cultural) from e-Learning, because people see them as separate, or may even value one over the other.

What are your thoughts on what TRUE INTEGRATION would look like?

What would be the best of both worlds?

How can blended e-Learning be a way or an approach to assist Māori and Pasifika learners in navigating their way to success?

What type of success are we talking about here? 

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2013 2:41pm ()

What a great question Manu, "How do we use technology to truly teach in a culturally responsive way?" Thank you for inviting the conversation.

When we use technologies to explore, create, communicate (as part of the learning process), the challenge lies between what/where we access information and how we project ourselves locally and in the wider global context. This largely takes on a ‘eurocentric’ look and feel – mainly due to the digital resources available.

Roimata touched on this when she comments, "We need more apps in Māori". There are a growing number of digital resources in/for Māori and Pasifika such as Digistore, (including Māori related resources) Facebook in Te Reo Māori, resources for Pasifika students and celebrating Te Reo Māori but throwing a set of digital resources to students in a cultural context won't necessarily amount to culturally responsive practice. It might mean the need for more defined learner set goals, with and through the use of technologies.

If we want our children to access, process and construct knowledge that truly reflects cultural identity - what would this look like? Would it include representation of language, visuals and content/contexts in a digital format? What would we need to do as school leaders and teachers to enable this happen?

As part of an on-going process to review/refine the e-Learning Planning Framework resources, some thinking is emerging about how schools, teachers, students, whānau and communities can use technologies effectively to reflect cultural responsive practices.

In light of this, I've had a little play with the following shared Google Doc that tries to align aspects from the Leadership, Teaching and Beyond the Classroom dimensions of the eLPF with a cultural responsive lens.

eLPF, cultural responsive practice and RTC

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not and would love others to 'jump in' and add some specific goals for teachers/school/students as well as any ideas/examples/resources that might help address explicit ways of working with technologies that would truly reflect cultural responsiveness. Is that ok? Love to see how this grows. Smile

Largely taken from Registered Teacher Criteria and e-learning

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 12:52pm ()

Kia orana and talofa lava Alana, awesome feedback thank you.

Thumbs upAlso, I am SOOOO in the new learning zone when it comes to upskilling myself with current knowledge/skills/understanding when it comes to cultural responsiveness, so having a reminder about the need for Pasifika to have an identity of its own - is vital. Again thank you. We're safe in the knowledge that mentors like yourself can jump in and clarify this for all of us.

I just need to say, I can't take all the credit here. I've curated and added to some work that was originally started by the digi-advisors a wee while back in response to e-learning and Registered Teacher Criteria. Many minds at work here, so would warmly welcome more tweaking!

I've made the original document live and editable, but have now made it public on the web, so try the link again and let us know how you get on...

Join this group to contribute to discussions.