Search

Indigenous cultures and e-Learning

Started by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu 05 Nov 2013 2:09pm () Replies (22)

Recently I've been having discussions with colleagues around their perspectives on Māori and e-Learning, and Pasifika and e-Learning.  

We've been wrestling with the ideas around how Māori or Pasifika learners see their cultural identities within their learning, if e-Learning is the vehicle/tool/framework through which to raise their academic achievement.

Some concerns were raised around potential loss of cultural identities through focusing too much on the fixation on technology (negative consequence) compared to using e-Learning and technology as a way to celebrate cultural identities.  

Too often the focus can be on the segregation/separation of indigenous cultures and everything associated with cultural identities (multi-ethnic, intra-ethnic, bi-cultural, multi-cultural) from e-Learning, because people see them as separate, or may even value one over the other.

What are your thoughts on what TRUE INTEGRATION would look like?

What would be the best of both worlds?

How can blended e-Learning be a way or an approach to assist Māori and Pasifika learners in navigating their way to success?

What type of success are we talking about here? 

Replies

• Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu (View all users posts) 16 Nov 2013 2:28pm ()

Thanks Tessa.

I have jumped into the doc and made some comments and suggested some other links that may be useful for Māori and Pasifika learners.  

• Alana Madgwick (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 12:22pm ()

Hi Tessa,

Firstly can I commend you and thank you for sharing this fabulous document on being culturally responsive through e-Learning pedagogies.  I was blown away when I first opened this- so thank you for sharing.  My first response is just something to think about-  as a Pasifika educator, I think we have worked very hard to separate the merging of Pasifika with Māori.  We are our own entity, with our own cultural identities.  It has been fabulous to have the Pasifika Education plan that embodies the values of our Pasifika people that is different from Ka Hikitia.  I love the way you have articulated the terms "bi-cultural heritage" because I think that reflects the commitment of everybody to the Treaty of Waitangi.  Is there a way we could reflect the difference for Pasifika learners in this document.  Maybe a first start would be just to separate the resources in to two layers on the left hand-side.  

I actually tried to go in and add some Pasifika resources for you- but I found that I was locked out- I signed on to the VLN -I am also using chrome to open the google doc but I can't seem to add anything?  Has anybody got some ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Sorry just a newbie to this.

Can someone help?

Thank you again for sharing and I absolutely love the document- I look forward to using some of the resources and supporting schools to embrace something like this.

Have a great day.

Alana

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 12:52pm ()

Kia orana and talofa lava Alana, awesome feedback thank you.

Thumbs upAlso, I am SOOOO in the new learning zone when it comes to upskilling myself with current knowledge/skills/understanding when it comes to cultural responsiveness, so having a reminder about the need for Pasifika to have an identity of its own - is vital. Again thank you. We're safe in the knowledge that mentors like yourself can jump in and clarify this for all of us.

I just need to say, I can't take all the credit here. I've curated and added to some work that was originally started by the digi-advisors a wee while back in response to e-learning and Registered Teacher Criteria. Many minds at work here, so would warmly welcome more tweaking!

I've made the original document live and editable, but have now made it public on the web, so try the link again and let us know how you get on...

• Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 2:53pm ()

Thanks Alana for sharing :-)

As a Pasifika educator like you, I wanted to share my thoughts on the "bi-cultural understanding" criteria.

I would be hesitant to include Pasifika in this criteria - because this particular strand focuses on the bi-cultural understanding between Māori and Pakeha.

I believe it is implicit that Pasifika learners will be able to learn about the bi-cultural understanding, rather than being included in that context - they just need to understand the dynamics of the shared history with reference to Te Tiriti o Waitangi - that informs this very criteria.  Others would say - if we include Pasifika, why not include other ethnic groups as well?

As a former Social Studies teacher, Pasifika learners have been better able to understand bi-cultural relationships by looking into their own cultural backgrounds for similar references like the Mau movement in Samoa, the Niuean participation in World War I and the revival and return to nationalism in Hawaii (and that's not even touching the inter-cultural relationships in the Pacific as well).

I'm looking forward to seeing you in January 2014 :-)

• Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu (View all users posts) 25 Nov 2013 1:09pm ()

Read the latest article in Ed Gazette about how Pasifika teachers are engaging their students with literacy 

Samoan education leaders step up

http://www.edgazette.govt.nz/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleId=8873

Thanks Pauline Scanlan for sharing :-)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.