Search

Digital citizenship resources to share with parents/whānau

Started by Tessa Gray 30 Oct 2013 4:58pm () Replies (18)

As schools unpack what Digital Citizenship means and how this relates to us all at school, it's just as important to help our parents/whānau in the wider community understand about safe and appropriate practices for our kids - when using the Internet at home.

Here's a non-verbal video that, "reminds us that many young children use Internet enabled devices to play games."

Taken from Great Internet Safety Resource for Early Years 

Dad quietly shows the right way to tackle spam, which can also be springboard to how to handle other unwanted pop-ups on the Internet. While schools often have 'blocks' on these, most home computers don't.

How else do you inform your parent community about digital citizenship and cybersafety? What resources do you use?

Replies

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2013 8:00pm ()

Thanks Tessa.  This is great.  We've focussed on digital citizenship for our students, so it prompted me to consider how to wdien this to the community.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2013 10:15am ()

Nice one Sandy, I often get asked to present ideas and have discussions with parents about the issues around Digital Citizenship and cybersafety at home.

I point them to resources like, ICT PD Digital citizenship at home (New Zealand collated resource), and share top tips for managing cybersafety at home, as well as monitoring computer/Internet access too.

Most parents will admit their children (all ages) are on devices accessing the Internet and some of their biggest fears are around Internet safety and online bullying. 

What are your community’s concerns? I'd love to hear how you have engaged with parents/whānau about these issues so far. 

• Sean Lyons (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2013 4:31pm ()

Hi Tessa. Its interesting to read statements like;

While schools often have 'blocks' on these, most home computers don't

We are increasingly engaged in conversations with schools that feel they need the support of their wider communities to assist in the progress of their digital citizenship journeys but are unsure of how the community feels, or are unable to guage how well prepared the community is to provide this support.

As part of the NetSafe Kit for Schools, we have launched a Community Digital Citizenship Survey, to give schools a chance to begin a conversation with the wider community about where it stands in relation to some key digital citizenship markers. The survey is preprepared, can be issued as a simple URL to the community, and on completion of the survey, NetSafe will provide an analysis of the data for you.

If schools want to find out more, visit  www.netsafe.org.nz/the-kit/surveys 

I hope this is of some use.

Sean. NetSafe.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2013 10:16am ()

Sean, this is all fantastic, thank you for reminding us about NetSafe's wonderful resources.

I should have mentioned previously, I'm also a huge advocate for MYLGP and NetSafe resources with both teachers and parents too. The survey will be extremely useful as some school communities often ask for tips on, where to start - which I see NetSafe has already addressed for schools as well. 

I'd love to hear more from schools who are using these resources to unpack Digital Citizenship at school and beyond...

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 3:07pm ()

Sorry for the cross-post. I thought this would sit well in this discussion too :-)

More and more parents are asking me about ways to secure their computers at home. Requests have mainly been around restricting access to Internet on a computer and now with iPads, iPods - how to restrict access to apps etc. The little video above in this thread, sums up parental control at home nicely.

One idea in that video, is to set up different user accounts on a home computer or laptop - whichever device you want to restrict access on. PCs have an option to add and administer User Accounts.

You can go to the computer’s Control Panel>>>User Account, and there are instructions for managing user accounts here or you can click on Parental Controls. This has an option to Create a New User Account, where you can set up a separate account with your child’s name and password. Here links will walk you through ways to define time limits, manage access to software programmes as well as game restrictions and more (see screenshot below).

Screenshot of Parental controls on PC

Mac users have similar options under System Preferences >>> Users and Groups, where you can add a New User Profile (your child) with a username and password, and then apply Parental Controls - such as time limits, restricted access to software applications and adult websites (see screenshot below).

Screenshot of Parental controls Mac

Apple devices (iPads, iPods, iPhones) have restrictions under the Settings feature, go Settings >>> General>>> Restrictions. Here you’ll be prompted to set a 4 digit number, where you can disable in-app purchases, stop the installation and deleting of apps as well as rating for 'Clean' R rather than 'Explicit' and  limit age restricted access to media. Top Tip: Don't let your child know the 4 digit number!

Settings on iPhone   Restrictions on iPhone  

Parents are also wanting to restrict access to the Internet. Most Internet browsers have an option to put settings to Safe Search. But just as easy as this is to apply, it is also easy to unapply. Here's a screenshot of the Safe Search features on Google Chrome.

Screenshot of safe search on Chrome

An alternative to browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Exporer and Safari etc could be kid safe browsers.

Kid safe web browsers let your kids surf through approved websites safely. They can block objectionable material with parental control access and pop-up blockers. Kid safe web browsers can can block certain objectionable web content, adware and spyware. They can come with parental control access and pop-up blockers.

Different kid safe web browsers have different control settings, you will need to try and test some yourselves first to see what best suits your needs. Taken from http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-at-home.wikispaces.com/Access%2C+censorship+and+filtering

Some options (some free) include: Mobicip - I personally use this as desktop browser and device app instead of Safari.

1. Google kids search engine
    2. Maxthon Kids safe browserMy Kids Browser
    3. ZAC Browser
    4. My Kids Browser
    5. Kid Zui
    6. PikLuk
    7. KIDO'Z
    8. Kidoz
    9. Kidsplorer
    10. Kidsonline

There are also 10 Kid-Friendly Browsers for the iPad.

What have you tried and applied? Any other top tips on ways to manage and monitor devices?

• Sam Hocking (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2014 8:53am ()

I have shown some of our parents how to set the strict safe search in google helps as well as showing them how to filter by a reading age.  It seems obvious but some just don't know you can do it.

To filter by reading age you click search tools once you get your search results.

Then select all result tab and you can filter for reading age here.

This brings up a small graph where you can see the proportion of basic, imtermediate and advanced reading ages.  These can be clicked to filter the results.

Safe search and reading age can be toggled permanently on and off using the cog button on the right hand side of the google search window and going to advanced options.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2014 9:21am ()

Thanks for sharing this Sam. Can you please elaborate on the, filter by a reading age? 

I'm very interested in what you have shared with your parents about this. I'm still learning too and have now applied some of these settings to our home computers/devices Smile.

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2014 9:31am ()

Kia ora Sam, I would like to know more about setting strict safe search and filtering by reading age.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2014 12:11am ()

Hi Vanitha and Tessa

I thought it easier to make a wee video to show you safe searching, searching by reading level and advnaced searching!! You may want to make it full screen on You Tube so you can see what I am doing better. It's just quick- not terribly slick!!!

• Sam Hocking (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2014 9:06am ()

Beat me too it.  Nice work Allanah

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2014 9:18am ()

I am leading a parent conversation around this soon so thought it would be useful. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2014 11:35am ()

Fantastic work Allanah, thank you. I've learned heaps about reading levels and format-type searches. I've also learned to LIKE items this week, so I've left a thumbs up on your YouTube tutorialSmile

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2014 5:25pm ()

Wow! Allanah, you are amazing! Thank you so much for preparing this little clip which is quite powerful to share with schools. I have learnt so much. Thanks.

Another question.... What tool did you use to create this You tube clip? I would like to create short clips.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2014 7:48pm ()

Thank you Vanitha

Being an Apple girl I tend to use Quicktime which comes with any Mac laptop- go File- New Screen Recording and make sure that you allow access to your Microphone. It saves it as a movie whcih I then upload to You Tube.

On my Chromebook I have used the extension Screencastify which puts it directly to You Tube.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/screencastify-screen-vide/mmeijimgabbpbgpdklnllpncmdofkcpn?hl=en

Back when I was a Windows user I used Jing.

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Hope that that helps :-)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship

A group to support schools help their students, staff and whānau become digital citizens