Search

Cloud based learners leaving our domain...

• Public
Started by Claire Buist 25 Oct 2013 7:50pm () Replies (8)

I have also posted this in the e-learning leadership forum...

I wonder if anyone can offer suggestions, ideas or epiphenies with regards to Google Apps and students leaving. Our Year 6 children are moving onto schools that are not in the cloud and we will be closing their accounts and removing them from our domain. This is our first set of learners leaving since we have been in the cloud. 

How might schools 'hand over' children's google accounts? We are contemplating making copies and then making their caregivers owners of their docs or putting them onto a USB. 

I'd appreciate any insights...

Replies

• Grant Peacock (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2013 10:03am ()

Claire

We havent faced this yet but have thought about it. At this point (untired) we thought that a letter home to families explaining the situation and suggesting parent supervise their child's creation of their own Google account. All school account material could then be moved to one folder on their drive and that top level folder shared with the new private user. That should allow the children to then copy the one folder to their new private drive. The school would set a date by which this process had to be finished and at that point all school accounts would be disabled. You might not delete these for 6 months to a year. 

I look at at it as being a final step in their primary school learning about digital citizenship. It replicates the process we use for their physical work and as we know, some families abandon their child's work in the desk at year's end in the context also. 

Just my my thoughts and not yet tried or tested. Would be interested to know what you do decide on. 

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 9:59am ()

I agree with the process of giving students the ownership/responsibility for doing the transition themselves. If they are given good scaffolds to do it it should be easy enough. In my experience:

• parents had full access to the child's email  and password for their GAFE account.
    • we've asked students to get themselves a personal gmail account, then all documents, contacts, sites, photos and blogs can be shared across. 

The only downside to this approach is that with many documents it can take a while and you can't take ownership for documents from outside of a domain, you have to make a copy of the individual accounts. One solution for this is for the school GAFE administrator to keep the student account completely open, but disable email, plus, and any other service at a certain point in future... that way the content just resides in the GAFE domain and can still be accessed by the student from their personal account.

With Blogger (love Blogger) it is easier to transfer ownership of a blog to another administrator, the key is to ensure that once the child has a personal gmail as an author, that they are then changed into an owner BEFORE the GAFE administrator takes the blog off their dashboard in Blogger.

I guess one thing to bear in mind re: cybercitizenship (for blogs), is that once the GAFE administrator has deleted the blog off their dashboard the only way to gain access again is to be invited by the new owner (ie. the child). If the child in question would use the blog for unethical purposes (whatever that may be!) AND it has the school name on it, then this is a potential risk. I think the way to manage this is through the cybercitizenship processes in the school and to back it up with the signed agreement with parents/student ie.

'When our child leaves X School, we agree that we will take ownership of our Blog, site, etc. and that future usage will be appropriate and follow the terms of this cybercitizenship agreement.'

-I can't think of how to word this right now, must be running out of steam!

• Claire Buist (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2013 10:12am ()

Hi Grant! Cool

We have been having regular meetings for parents throughout the year as the transition to the cloud snow balled across the school. This week we will have a meeting for parents again to see what they prefer. I was hoping to offer them a few possibilities but it looks like there are really only two options for us this time around.

I think my preference is to have each caregiver take ownership of their child's folder in the cloud but the USB might feel more tangible for our first transition. I can only imagine what it will be like after 3-4 years of blogging and storing documents in their clouds! What an amazing portfolio they will have.

I love that you have shared your thoughts, Grant. I have tended to be a lurker on the VLN but asking a question has proven invaluable!

Many thanks,

Claire 

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2013 12:26pm ()

If it were me I wouldn't delete the children's accounts straight away to give them time to think about what they want to do with them. I would get them to transfer their blog ownership to that other home created gmail account so they can just carry on with it and use the same blog.

I always feel sad when a blog gets deleted- such a waste.

I have written a little 'how to' on how to manage that process.

http://bling4yrblog.blogspot.co.nz/2007/01/handing-your-blog-on-to-another-teacher.html

• Claire Buist (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2013 12:35pm ()

Thanks, Alannah! I so agree. Could not ever bring myself to delete an individual's blog. I have 3 years of individual blogs floating out there and around a third of them are still being updated. It is the chilren's accounts that we intend to delete once all docs and access to blogs are "handed over". Consultation with the community will hopefully lead to developing a sense of value of the kids' learning... 

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2013 8:56pm ()

I am very interested in this, too. I had a little play sharing docs between two of my accounts, and either acct. can delete docs that will disappear from both GDrives. How do we get around this? Copy / Add to My Drive? What happens to docs when an account gets closed, are the docs deleted and therefore disappear from the account shared with or are they still somewhere in the cloud and remain in the second account?This might be a dumb question, but I am hopeful someone can set me right ;)

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2013 9:12pm ()

Hi Monika

You def have to 'make a copy' of the folder and docs. Once the initial account is deleted it will disappear. UNLESS you have made a copy - then the ownership of the doc moves to the second account. I've been testing this with my school domain account and my personal gmail account.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.