Search

Leavers and Google Accounts

Started by Claire Buist 25 Oct 2013 1:49pm () Replies (12)

I wonder if anyone can offer suggestions, ideas or epiphenies with regards to Google Apps and students leaving. Our Year 6 children are moving onto schools that are not in the cloud and we will be closing their accounts and removing them from our domain. This is our first set of learners leaving since we have been in the cloud. 

How might schools 'hand over' children's google accounts? We are contemplating making copies and then making their caregivers owners of their docs or putting them onto a USB. 

I'd appreciate any insights...

Replies

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2013 5:50pm ()

Hi Claire.

The answer is that your options are pretty limited.  Your students are not 13 (see footnote) when they leave your school, so you can't really have a procedure that expects to move this to a student owned/controlled google account.  

The way I see it is there are 2 realistic options for you, both of which you've identified (disregard the mechanics for now - that stuff is pretty easy)

- Give the students the digital artifacts on physical media at the end of the year 

- Transfer the google account data to an account that belongs to the parent

Pick which of the 2 method suits (perhaps both) and I can provide help with the mechanics of how that looks like in practice over coffee.

Pete

Footnote:  (Often misunderstood) The 13+ thing has nothing to do with the maturity required to have an account somewhere, but is to side-step a law in the USA that prevents companies from collecting any personal information about children without the express written permission from their legal gaurdians.  Irrespective of this, the message here is that you must read and abide by the terms and conditions of use otherwise you are at best dishonest, at worst breaking the law.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.