Search

Literacy progressions matrix

Started by Tash Jacobs 23 Oct 2013 8:07pm () Replies (45)

We are looking at unpacking the literacy progressions in reading and ultimately creating a matrix to use for assessment both for staff and students.  I am wondering if anybody out there has already done this and would be willing to share your work.  We have already done this with writing and would love to share our work with anybody interested.

Replies

• Juliet Dickinson (View all users posts) 08 May 2014 11:51am ()

Hi all,

As promised, I said I would upload some photos of what teachers shared during our world cafe session after school yesterday.  Can I just add - the 'World-cafe' approach is a really good one as it involves everyone and is very non-threatening.  

We asked staff to bring along something they could share about how they have been using the progressions in their classroom (please note, these have only been revised in 2013 and implementation started this year, so we are at the very beginning of this journey. We are also in the process of putting our TK version into kidspeak).  

Staff got into groups of 4 or 5 and had 3-4 minutes each to share what they have done.  Some shared examples from online blogs they are doing, some shared students' books and others just spoke about it etc.  Everyone got a turn to share with a quick questioning session at the end.  This process was repeated three times and staff joined a new group with different people each time.  So, you might share the same thing 3-4 times, but you walk away hearing 15+ different ideas and approaches.  All staff left fired up, and already today, there are things being trialled by staff that they saw someone else doing yesterday afternoon.  For some who possibly hadn't really got their teeth into it all yet, they didn't share as much but left the meetings with their next steps in place because they saw what it could actually look like in the classroom.   Senior.jpgStudents in senior school writing into kid-speak themselvesMaths.png Junior 2.jpg Junior.jpg Writing.jpg

As I mentioned above, we are at the beginning of this journey and hope to gather many more ideas.  Research into the pedagogy behind student agency and personalising learning here is really important for us.  We need to remember that progressions alone don't bring about student agency as it is just differentiated learning.  Our students need to understand HOW they learn, WHAT they learn (progressions we see as just 1 part of this), WHY they learn (embedded in authentic contexts) and then what can they do with their learning - the 'So What?' - how does this impact on us.  So, it is a much bigger journey than we anticipated, but an exciting one.

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 5:09pm ()

Hi everyone

It's fantastic to see that everyone is still looking at this thread!  Juliet, can't wait to see your picks and what is the world cafe...sounds exciting?

It would be fantastic to hear how everyone is planning on using the kid speak doc in the classroom...

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 3:26pm ()

Hi Juliet, looking forward to the pics!

You're right the 'tree' or image icon sources images from the web. You can upload your own pics by clicking on the Embed content link in the top-right hand of the comments box. It will ask you to upload a file >>> choose the file from your computer, and click upload. Once this appears, you can click on it to add to the comment box.

Hope this helps Smile

• Juliet Dickinson (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 2:49pm ()

Hi, trying to upload some photos from yesterday's world cafe session re progressions.  Can someone explain how I can do this... The 'insert image' icon only allows me to upload a url - my pics are jpegs.  Have tried simple drag and drop, copy and paste etc... quick tips anyone??

Technologically challenged... 

• cathie zelas (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 1:12pm ()

Hi

Can I also add a huge thank you to all who have worked on this - you have saved others an enormous amount of work and it's a great example of colloboration.

Thanks so much!

Cathie

• Rachel O'Connell (View all users posts) 06 May 2014 8:28pm ()

I totally agree Susan.  The power of collaboration and sharing of 'top-notch' educational ideas and resources makes me excited to be still involved in education.  Thanks VLN and all of the contributors Laughing

• susan wood (View all users posts) 06 May 2014 2:08pm ()

May I say thank you to all the very generous and giving teachers who share on this site. You are amazing in your generosity sharing your work and your ideas. It is what teaching is all about and I feel so proud to be part of this group

Susan

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 11:32am ()

HI Juliet and Tash

Wahoo!! Rocking work from you all! Amazing sharing also

Just to let you know; based on a query from Tash, we will be adding more info into this wiki http://elearningbop.wikispaces.com/Literacy+Progressions in the coming week, so it is up to date with current websites, apps (ipad and android).

Keep being amazing 

Mary-Anne

• Juliet Dickinson (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 10:42am ()

Hi Tash,

Thanks for that.  We are currently transitioning from our 'teacher speak' to our 'kidspeak' progressions and currently either version of this is sitting in modelling books and at the upper levels kids books as well.  Similar to what you have shown, our students have these as fold-out flaps that show what their learning goals are.  These are also shared in portfolios and eportfolios.  Like you we use the pink and green highlighters to show what aspects are achieved and yet to be achieved.  A number of teachers are now using a range of exemplary texts that are being shared with students, they are analysing and annotating these when starting to pull a piece of work apart.  These are either in student books, modelling books or an extra-large version on the wall.  Once we finish our 'kidspeak' documentation, I see the progressions as having more of a visual feature around the walls.  Tomorrow after school we are doing a 'World Cafe' session around how we are using progressions in our rooms so I will take some photos and post these afterwards.  We are really hoping to harness eLearning tools and strategies further to share progressions both within school and with whanau - via eportfolios etc).

I hope you don't mind, but I will share your photos etc above with staff as part of the world cafe as it is great to see examples from other schools.

Thanks again

Juliet

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 10:14am ()

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi Juliet

Sorry for the late response.

I have added some photos of how I use the writing progressions in my classroom.  I have a working writing wall which is easliy accessible to the kids.  This has a large copy of each progression in kidspeak.  When we begin a new LI we all gather around the wall and look at the thread of learning across the progressions and pull apart exactly what this means.  Everyone knows what the national standard goal is for this year.  Pulling apart each new piece of learning enables them to know exactly how to achieve this.  They are all able to articulate what they are learning and what that looks like at each level.  At the start of the year when I asked them who liked writing.... only two put their hands up... now they all love writing and often don't want to stop.  Their books also have a copy of the level they are working on and we discuss this at weekly 1-1 conferencing sessions.  Feed back and forward is identified in their books (with them) in green and pink highlighters.  Also as the kids complete pieces of work we have conversations about where it fits on the writing wall and them pin it to the wall as examples.  (This is as a class or group or individually)

Hopoe this is helpful.

How do you see this working for you?  What are your ideas about how to use the progressions?

:) Tash

Join this group to contribute to discussions.