Search

Literacy progressions matrix

Started by Tash Jacobs 23 Oct 2013 8:07pm () Replies (45)

We are looking at unpacking the literacy progressions in reading and ultimately creating a matrix to use for assessment both for staff and students.  I am wondering if anybody out there has already done this and would be willing to share your work.  We have already done this with writing and would love to share our work with anybody interested.

Replies

• Robyn Perry (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 8:14pm ()

Great idea. Any chance you are wiling to share with a school that has yet to do this? We are currently using a tool created by Murray Gadd for Writing but a student and staff matrix would be fantastic. 

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 8:20pm ()

I would love to share everything we have done with you and you can use what suits.  I'll just jump on my laptop and attach the basic matrix if it's what you're after let me know and I'll put the whole document on.

• Robyn Perry (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 8:41pm ()

Would really appreciate that - cheers! :-)

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 8:43pm ()

writing scheme master 2009.doc Hi Robyn

I have just attached our whole writing curriculum folder which was last fully updated in 2009.  Obviously we need to add to it but it might provide a starting point for you.  Jump straight through to page 42 and 43 for the matrix.  The numbers in brackets refer to the curriculum levels.

• Robyn Perry (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 8:50pm ()

Thank you so much - your curriculum folder is fabulous - what a lot of work your school has put it. Some great ideas that we can take on board. A huge thank you to you for sharing. :-)

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 8:58pm ()

Smile Not a problem.  As you can see we need to put some time into aligning what we have with the National Standards but the basics are all in place.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2013 11:30am ()

Hi all, there's a reference in the current Enabling e-Learning resource on sharing e-learning goodness, it reads,

Terrace End School in Palmerston North have been working hard on their OTJs for writing as part of their combined BeL and Literacy development this year.  Now they have begun compiling a resource linking their deep and surface features of writing (learning intentions) with specific eTools and strategies.  Check out their work to date and add to it in this public version of their document. (slide 3)

Also, you may well be aware of the Literacy progressions and how e-learning can support these at each level @ http://elearningbop.wikispaces.com/Literacy+Progressions
  • Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2013 7:24pm ()

Just wondering if people are interested in collaborating via a google doc/spreadsheet to co-construct as Tash says: unpacking the literacy progressions in reading and ultimately creating a matrix to use for assessment both for staff and students. 
    Maybe a template could be set up and a call for a "working party" put out there with skype meetings to touch base along the way. The elearningbop wikispace provides a great start-place.
    I'm happy to support this process if there are interested people.

Mary-Anne :) 

• Juliet Dickinson (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2013 10:05pm ()

We have done a lot of work on our progressions in both Reading and Writing this year.  We have also created concept maps for reading to show each stage of the colour wheel.  These are on trial at our school this term so would be interested in some feedback on them.  We would be keen to work on this process to enable us to develop ours further.

• Jo Wheway (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2013 6:28am ()

This sounds like a great idea Mary-Anne. I am in the middle of trying to put together a set of goals for all areas that can be supported by blended e-learning and reading is one of the ifrst I was going to extend down from level 5:)

• Kama (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2013 8:14pm ()

Hi Mary-Anne,
    I would be interested, absolutely! I'm moving from a Y3+4 class to Y5+6 and I think this would be a great way for me to get my head around the level change.

Kama

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2013 8:56pm ()

Thankyou Mary-Anne that sounds great, I will figure out how to put up what I have started so others can have an input. :)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.