Search

Where to start

• Public
Started by Tanya Tanner 10 Oct 2013 12:13pm () Replies (15)

Hi, I have heard lots about using google apps in the classroom, I am keen to give it a go but would like some starter tip please. 

Replies

• Mike Thornley (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2013 12:18pm ()

I am also in the same boat. Would be keen to hear where others started and what have been the main positives out of using google apps.

Cheers

• merryl (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2013 12:24pm ()

Sign up for google apps for education - this was a little tricky but we got there. I hear now we need an add on dashboard that gives the teacher the ability to manage all that happens. Is this correct??

• merryl (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2013 2:47pm ()

Is the only dashboard Hapara $4.00 per student .... Is there a free dashboard anyway with google apps????

• Tim Gander (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2013 5:54pm ()

Hi guys - Hapara dashboard is a really good solution as a management tool - although I don't use it myself.  There are tools that you can use which are free and worth trying like gClass folders that can organise and create folders for teachers, I have been using these instead as we don't have the funding for the Hapara solution at this stage.  I think the dashboard you are talking about Merryl is the admin console and is more of an overall management tool for passwords, permissions and network management - different people can be granted different access.  I have used Google apps extensively this year with all my classes and found the experience to be positive - have a read about it on my blog here http://nzteachnology.blogspot.co.nz/ Maybe just start with a class or an activity, I have written about plenty on the blog!!  Cheers, Tim

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2013 7:26pm ()

Hi https://www.edmodo.com/ is another free teacher dashboard. I have not used it but know someone who did and they really liked it. have a look at this site http://techtools4teaching.wikispaces.com/Edmodo it gives some info on Edmodo. I have just started using Hapara and really like it as I can see what the children are doing and assign tasks to the whole, class, groups or individuals. It is only $4 per child. If you have a class budget look at using this to pay for it. 

I have just strated using google apps with my class and love it. The children can work on presentaions and documents together. I am able to give them instant feedback and they can then do changes to their work. If they are woking on a shared document they are able to comment on what each other is doing. I am able to easily see when children have completed their work and last logged onto their account. If they are on a site they shouldn't be I can send a message for them to close get off that site. The collobration between children is greater and they are learning from each other more than what they would normally do. Children are also able to finish their work at homework and parents are able to see what they are doing. 

I so far think it is fantastic but I am still learning.

Fiona

• Lyn Ross (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2013 11:36am ()

Hi Tanya,

The ability to co-create (anywhere, anytime) and to share with others are probably two of the most powerful things about Google Drive.  Do you have 'Google Apps for Education' set up in your school, or are you using the apps available on your Google account?  

To get an overall picture and some ideas, there's a good video/webinar in the first discussion on this group, plus some useful links from Tessa and Karen.  

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2013 12:36pm ()

I am currently in a workshop at ULearn with Allanah King and Barbara Reid . Brilliant . They have a Getting Good With Google website that has awesomw amount of tools.... 

https://sites.google.com/site/ggwg2011/google-forms 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2013 11:54am ()

Hi Tanya, here's a recording (if you didn't make it) of a recent LIVE Enabling e-Learning webinar on, Schools, Google apps and the cloud (September 2013) where guest speakers Fiona Grant and Tania Coutts helped to clarify what Google Apps are, how can they be used in education (teachers and learners) and the difference it is making to the way we work/think/learn for both teachers and students. 

Tania gives a good overview of what Google Apps for education are, how you might use them and why. Fiona gives a quick overview of how several schools have infused Google Apps/Hapara into their teaching and learning.

You can also follow the conversations in the discussion thread, WEBINAR: Schools, Google apps and the cloud | an Enabling e-Learning event in the Enabling | Technologies group

Hope this helps too Smile

• Tanya Tanner (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2013 10:18am ()

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the great feedback.  I am working my way through the suggestions and websites. Yes we have a school google account (Im guessing it comes under the apps for education banner - as I did not set it up) - that i have managed to reactivate - so will be looking at that again too.

Tanya Smile

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2013 6:38pm ()

Here is a step by step instruction for setting up if you are not going through Hapara.

http://tinyurl.com/m6jkhnp

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2013 4:18pm ()

Hi Tanya

TTS are running a free seminar for Google Apps in November. You might want to contact Darren Petry at TTS.  I think spaces are filling fast. Also GAFE are running a 2-day training seminar next year in Auckland on 29 & 30 April and Christchurch on 23 and 24 April.

We just started using Google Docs and presentation this year. We started by using Docs for planning so teachers could get a feel for it before introducing it to their students. Within a couple of months teachers now see the value of using it for their team minutes and other admin. tasks.  The children are using it to co-create and give each other feedback about their writing. Google Presentation is so much more valuable for their inquiry learning where they are often creating in teams.  That's where we are so far! :)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.