Search

myportfolio funding announcement

• Public
Started by Gerard Macmanus 25 Sep 2013 8:30pm () Replies (6)

The Ministry of Education is pleased to announce that the funding of MyPortfolio has been extended until the end of 2015. Well before then we anticipate that we will be able to announce the long-term plans for supporting and funding this very successful New Zealand ePortfolio. Currently more than 1300 schools are registered users of MyPortfolio. (The initial funding offer from the Ministry was from 2011 until the end of 2013.)

Replies

• Jay Mackenzie (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2013 8:49am ()

Does this mean that Moderaters will permit ePortfolios for Numeracy Unit Standards evidence now?

• Senga White (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2013 9:07am ()

Going with the premise there is no such thing as a dumb question, and wearing my "newbies" hat for this role in my school, my question is: Is e-portfolio another choice LMS such as Ultranet or Knowledge Net, or is it designed to sit alongside them and provide a different function?

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2013 9:46am ()

Good question, Senga.  You can use Myportfolio for a learning management system.  It works very well as you can make groups like class groups.  From what I understand, the 1 gb limit for storage does not apply to groups.  You could probably go into Myportfolio and check this but this is the answer I received an couple of years ago.  I also found it was a great place to store staff professional development information. 

There are limitations on its function as an LMS though, compared to Moodle for example.  The capacity to make quizzes and store the results for one.  However, Myportfolio is an awesome tool, overall.

• Tania Samal (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2013 10:17am ()

We use MyPortfolio to sit beside our current LMS - Moodle.  It is used mainly for staff PD at the moment but we have been experimenting this year getting students to keep their completed assessment work in MyPortfolio.  Setting it up as an e-portfolio system to store work.  This comes in especially handy for students who have to submit a portfolio for tertiary study. 

It is also interesting to note that the in July an NZQA announcement said -

Online Submissions of Moderation 

Schools now have the option of submitting materials for moderation online using MyPortfolio, GoggleDocs or something similar. For schools this means that there is no need to print and post paper copies of student work, moderation reports will also be sent electronically.  If you are interested in this contact your Principal Nominee for further information.

• Pascale Hyboud-Peron (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2013 12:44pm ()

I describe ePortfolio as a personal online space for students and/or teachers. MyPortfolio is a user owned space, and communication between users (teachers and students) is made possible in a range of ways, including use of  the group and the feedback functions. Users collect their learning evidence as it happens (store work) , trace the process of their learning, and select the evidence they need for a purpose (eg: NCEA portfolio standards) upon having received feedback/feedforward. Learning is made visible to the student user who can reflect on actions and take next steps and the student user's progress is made visible to the teacher for assessment (submissions).
    I had a play with comparing LMS/MyPortfolio when I first got into MyPortfolio. I do think ePortfolio can sit alongside LMS (eg: Mahoodle, a combination of Moodle and Mahara, MyPortfolio is a mahara instance) but also provide a different function! Practice as well as access and comfort with ICTs have evolved fast in many cases since and I would value your input to update this comparison!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.