Search

Are you coding?

• Public
Started by Ra Ellingham 25 Sep 2013 4:04pm () Replies (6)

Hi All,

As a complete novice I've started a coding club after school working through Code Academy. It's a set of tutorials that lead you through writing HTML and using CSS files.

We're lucky that we have a great parent to support the group who has a background in IT. What we'd like is to connect with other schools who are doing something similar so our kids can chat to others.

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Sep 2013 12:51pm ()

I love the fact you are coding with your students Ra, goes beyond them being driven by the interface of the tools - to more problem solving processes or "computational thinking".

Here's part of a comment I pasted in the following thread in Enbling e-Learning | Teaching group: The world needs programmers...

Where kids would develop key concepts such as:

• algorithms (the mathematical recipes that make up programs)
    • cryptography (how confidential information is protected on the net)
    • machine intelligence (how services such as YouTube, NetFlix, Google and Amazon predict your preferences)
    • computational biology (how the genetic code works)
    • search (how we find needles in a billion haystacks)
    • recursion (a method where the solution to a problem depends on solutions to smaller instances of the same problem)
    • heuristics (experience-based techniques for problem-solving, learning, and discovery)

Sound alien? More discussions and sharing of coding tools can be found @ Virtual Learning Network: The world needs programmers

Join this group to contribute to discussions.