Search

Are you coding?

• Public
Started by Ra Ellingham 25 Sep 2013 4:04pm () Replies (6)

Hi All,

As a complete novice I've started a coding club after school working through Code Academy. It's a set of tutorials that lead you through writing HTML and using CSS files.

We're lucky that we have a great parent to support the group who has a background in IT. What we'd like is to connect with other schools who are doing something similar so our kids can chat to others.

Replies

• Chris Dillon (View all users posts) 25 Sep 2013 7:56pm ()

Hi Ra,

What level/age are your students. Are you looking at after-school-based chat?

Chris
    Putaruru College 

• Ra Ellingham (View all users posts) 27 Sep 2013 2:45pm ()

Hi Chris, 

our group is mixed year 7&8. We meet on Wednesdays between 3.15 & 4.15pm. 

Having another group of students to chat to would be great, or to ask questions of and learn from if they are more experienced than us. 

Cheers, Ra

• JJ Purton Jones (View all users posts) 25 Sep 2013 10:02pm ()

Hi,

We are using code avengars. What I like about this tool is that it is a kiwi company based in the tron! Love supporting the kiwis! They also have camps during the holidays! Code avengars have either java script or html lessons, level 1,2 and 3. Its free for levels 1 and 2, and only $5 for level 3. My kids love it! All girls and boys and abilities. I am currently using it with my year 7/8 class.

Happy to share more if anyone is interested in it.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2013 10:37pm ()

Amazed by the coding sites and coding people popping up on Twitter - you amazing tweeps!

Have uploaded site links in resources.

Here is one more: http://codeworx.co.nz/

@Boz23 talked about one amazing student who is doing coding as a Community Problem Solving project for FPSNZ: "Decode is a NZ based project aimed at promoting programming in youth." decode.org.nz

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Sep 2013 12:51pm ()

I love the fact you are coding with your students Ra, goes beyond them being driven by the interface of the tools - to more problem solving processes or "computational thinking".

Here's part of a comment I pasted in the following thread in Enbling e-Learning | Teaching group: The world needs programmers...

Where kids would develop key concepts such as:

• algorithms (the mathematical recipes that make up programs)
    • cryptography (how confidential information is protected on the net)
    • machine intelligence (how services such as YouTube, NetFlix, Google and Amazon predict your preferences)
    • computational biology (how the genetic code works)
    • search (how we find needles in a billion haystacks)
    • recursion (a method where the solution to a problem depends on solutions to smaller instances of the same problem)
    • heuristics (experience-based techniques for problem-solving, learning, and discovery)

Sound alien? More discussions and sharing of coding tools can be found @ Virtual Learning Network: The world needs programmers

Join this group to contribute to discussions.