Search

Curating content - what have you found most successful?

• Public
Started by Janet McFadden 24 Sep 2013 12:35pm () Replies (18)

Various content curation tools were used by participants on the National Library's online course - with Livebinders being the most popular - but there are heaps of tools out there to use.

What tools have you used?  How easy / challenging have you found your chosen tool to use?  And who has benefited from your curation?

Replies

• Jeannie (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2013 1:08pm ()

Hi Janet - I'm part of the Livebinders fan club - found it incredibly easy and intuitive to use, with a clear hierarchy to organise the information and useful tools to sort and categorise the Livebinders themselves.  It may not be the most razzle dazzle to engage students though?

• Vicki Stephens (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2013 2:20pm ()

Hi Janet,  I recently ran a Network Meeting session on Content Curation as a request from the hosting TLR.  I took the online session handouts from the Face to Face course 'Just in Case', but didn't need them as the meeting attendess were soon encouraging each other by showing off their use of the tools!  The hosting TLR started the session by showing the wonderful work they were doing using http://www.only2clicks.com.  What was so exciting is that this was an experienced teacher with many years of experience who was adapting her practice through the use of the new web 2.0 Content Curation tools to engage students and staff while adding value to the library.  
    Other attendees also stepped forward and showed off their latest curations and talked us all through basic editing and use, especially with Livebinders and Perltrees.  All I had to do was offer a few suggestions and highlight our wonderful online resources.  I learned so much!

• Janet McFadden (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2013 2:32pm ()

Sounds like such a useful and inspiring sharing of knowledge and expertise, Vicki!  I started using only2clicks quite a while ago, after reading about it in one of Joyce Valenza's posts. Although I've got the link up on my toolbar I haven't actually used it in a while, so your post reminded me about that.

• Janet McFadden (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2013 9:07am ()

A question for all our group members - What has been your most successful content curation, in terms of its uptake and use by your teaching colleagues, and your students?  What was the topic?  And what curation tool did you use? 

• Vicki Stephens (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2013 9:26am ()

Hi Jeannie,

You have raised an interesting question about the changing use of content curation tools.  During my Network meeting about Content Curation a number of the participants mentioned that over time, Livebinders was being used more and more by librarians and teachers for their personal use and that they were relying on other more visual content curation tools like http://www.only2clicks.com to engage students.  I am hoping that our Content Curation course participants will share in this discussion so we can find out more about how their use of the tools has developed and if it has changed their information practice in any way.

• Colleen Shipley (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2013 10:39am ()

After the course I have been curating quite a bit.  The teachers I originally used for the course were the teachers that have come to me and asked for more so I guess that means the uptake was good.   I did a second scoop-it for the health teacher this time on organ donatyion and it's ethics.  Being a year 13 class I think the formal format of scoop-it appeals.  The best thing about scoop-it is the daily updates

My favourite tool is livebinders and I have used that a lot, in particular for the classics classes.  The joy of livebinders is that i find it easy to add book titles and this is one of the best sources in my view for classics.  The number of high quality websites for classics topics is few and you do have to sift through sites made by teachers and enthusiasts to get the quality so a curation tool for these topics is valuable, and of course I always provide a link to EPIC.  Just prior to the holidays I introduced a student teacher who was struggling with resources to livebinders and made a binder for Pacific Islands and their sustainability and tourism.  He was most grateful and now believes the best source for help in a school is the Librarian (I hope his fuure Librarians look after him just as well).

I also have a private livebinder for myself.  Most of the time I like to keep school work and home quite separate but as a member of the SLANZA facebook group interesting things appear on my home computer.  A quick click on the livebinder-it button means I can save these on a tool I can access in ither place.  I have stored quotes and pictures I can use for displays, library week ideas and most importantly articles on the value of libraries and reading.

I had always pondered the idea of content curation and the course made me set aside time to work on these ideas.  It also made me realise that not too much can go wrong at this end of a computer and i now do not fear pressing buttons to see what happens like I used to - which certainly helps me find my way around new tools.  i will keep making binders I suspect just need to keep the promotion talk to staff going.

• Linda McCullough (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2013 11:35am ()

Colleen - I'm very impressed with all the ways you have been using curation tools since you did the course at the beginning of the year!  You certainly have gone from strength to strength - and upped the recognition of the library's role in learning into the bargain!  Well done - keep us posted about further progress.  I've found LiveBinders easy to use too, but there's a wealth of tools out there, so it's a good idea to experiment - some seem more suitable for different purposes than others.  Thanks for sharing with us.

• Glynis Shields (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2013 12:00pm ()

Hi Everyone - I've just been reading through Lane Clarke's keynote presentation at our recent Ulearn conference, which re-affirms the value of "content curations" tools to encourage student learning. Too many sites to search, and students experience "cognitive overload" with too much information for them to process it properly. Students need the key sites containing the "germaine" information to their topic, which they can access and return to on reflection as needed. This is a vaste over simplication neurological theory and learning but interesting from a school library discussion point of view.What do others think?   

• Lisa Banks (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2013 12:18pm ()

Hi- I have become a curation junkie since I did the cours. I was already using Pinterest and still do but keep that for my own personal curating time! (#addticted). I have concentrated on using http://www.scoop.it/u/lisa-trundley-banks and http://learni.st/users/85010. The science students seem to love Scoop.it. I created a learning board for a group of English students studying dystopic texts but the Bio students used it more as it had very current articals on genetics and cloning.

Learni.st has been really popular with the English department and I get requests for boards from them. In order for the students to see it all, I was inspired at a National Library PD day and created a new website on Weebly. So it has been a busy year.

Next year I am hoping to master Livebinders!

I have lots of aims: more feedback on the usefullness, engagement - students could comment on the links as both sites allow this.

• Vicki Stephens (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2013 2:31pm ()

Hi Lisa,

It is great to hear from you in this forum. 

It seems like such a long time since the March course, but as you have shared, education and the online environment is moving along in leaps and bounds and it is so valuable to hear from practitioners like yourself about how you are utilizing these tools to enhance learning.

Thank you also for sharing your general links.  It is great to re-visit your initial Mary Shelley and Genetics projects and to also see how many more projects you have developed using the same tools. Wow!

I have so many questions,... I will try to limit my curiosity to a few!

First, I can see you are still getting great mileage out of Scoopit and Learnist. 
    Has it been hard to measure success? 
    Are you using data from the tools themselves or anecdotal evidence or both? 

Second, It may be too soon, but how do your students engage with the projects?
    Are they adding their own content or are they using completed projects which are then used for discussion only?

I would be interested in any feedback you can give.

Cheers and I hope your sailing is going well too!

Vicki

• Janet McFadden (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2013 8:37am ()

Hi there, I meant to reply to your post, Lisa, straight away - so it's now quite a while since you put up your "evidence of being a curation junkie" - which I found really inspiring.  I see that your students like Scoop-It, and wondered if you knew that we've got a Scoop-It account which is linked from our website, at: http://www.scoop.it/t/libraries-and-learning.  Great to see the number of tools you've now mastered - and it sounds as though your students in various departments are benefitting hugely from your curations!

• Lisa Banks (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2013 11:20am ()

Hi Vicki

At the moment I have no fixed method of ascertaining the success of the curated material. Next year my aim is to insist that students feedback/comment on the resources that they use. Both Learni.st and Scoop.it allows them to do this easily. I also want the class teachers to add content but will not allow the boys to that just yet...they could recommend links and I can add them.

All boards have been used to generate information for either internal or external NCEA assessments and all students passed so this provides a degree of evaluation. Especially with the Level 2 English research standard - students need to have at least 3 different sources in order to make judgements and draw conclusions based on 3 key questions. They can end up with at least 9 different sources. I know from verbal feedback that the boys found the sites useful as they did not lose the link etc

Success Story: A group of year 12 boys - who I do not teach - came to me and requested that I create a board for them on JFK for history. They found the amount of information on the web overwhelming and another group of boys were sharing links of Facebook but would not share with them. So in their words, 'We thought we'd go one better, Ma'am..."

The links sit in the library website and on the school intranet. Next year we go BYOD so I will be busy.

Lisa

• Vicki Stephens (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2013 4:40pm ()

Hi Lisa,

You certainly can't argue with student success and motivated and engaged students!
    I am sure others in this group will also find your feedback equally valuable. 
    With such an emphasis on Evidence Based Practice, Ross Todd would also be pleased with how your examples highlight the importance of school libraries and how librarians can help student's to learn, especially with curated quality resources and the use of these web tools. 

Thank you so much for sharing

Cheers

Vicki

• Rosie-Anne Pinney (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 12:21pm ()

Hi Janet

I did the content curation course with Gail and like many of the other students got hooked on content curation.  It has been REALLY popular at our school with Livebinders being the favourite so far. 

But, I would like to try a tool where students can provide feedback on the posts and get some online discussion going.  I seem to remember that you can do this on Scoopit - we were given an example on the course, but now I can't figure out how to do it.  Please can you help?

• Janet McFadden (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 3:44pm ()

Hi Rosie-Anne

Thank-you for your question - and I'm pleased to hear how popular Livebinders has proved to be, in your school!  That's great.

I had a good look at Scoop.It again just to refresh my memory after reading your question, and then contacted Gail to find out whether she knew of any way (that I had maybe missed) that Scoop.It offered a feedback facility - but we don't think it does.  In fact, my question would be 'why'! I'd suggest that rather than having students providing feedback on the posts, you might focus their discussion on whatever the topic and related issues are, that you had in mind when creating the Scoop.It.  What are their learning objectives, and what is their Inquiry focusing on? I think if a curation tool enabled users to add feedback it could become very cluttered.

I took a look at the Scoop.It example given in the course, and wonder whether the brief annotations added by the person who curated the content might have been what you remembered?

Have you considered using a blog for the discussion? That might be a useful way to generate student discussion, incorporating a link to your Scoop.It curation.

I'd welcome ideas from any other readers of this post - as I'm sure there'll be other great suggestions out there!

I hope this has been useful, Rosie-Anne - and do let us know what tool you decide to use, whether Scoop.It or something else.  I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Cheers

Janet

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Learning beyond borders

Learning beyond borders

Forum inviting you to share successes and challenges relating to use of online tools to connect and engage readers, curate content for your students, and create a 24/7 online presence for your school library.