Search

Using Minecraft for Assessment

• Public
Started by Andrew de Wit 04 Sep 2013 9:54pm () Replies (9)

I am currently using Minecraft as an assesment tool in maths, getting my students to "tell me everything they know about fractions, decimals and ratios. Well! the focus, problem solving, sharing ideas has been amazing!! Not as quick to complete and is going to be a little different marking and recording against NS but incredibly rich maths and..

Has anyone else done this and have suggestions to guide, mark etc.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Andrew de wit

Mangaroa

Replies

• MeganCroll1 (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 10:00pm ()

Hi Andrew

How cool!  Would like to see what the students have done.  Are you able to post screenshots?

Megan

• Kassey Downard (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2013 8:11am ()

This sounds awesome!

How did you set this lesson up? Did you have a criteria co-constructed with the class or one of your own? I would love to hear more about this, I am using it in reading and writing at the moment but haven't been game enough to try it in maths. 

• Luke Willis (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2013 8:29am ()

My students are using MineCraft for mainly Maths.  As part of assessment I have had them creating different representations.

NZC Lvl3 Geometry asks for the student create 2D images and represent these as 3D models. Traditional I would have had the student using Uniblocks or Place Value Cubes. With the introduction of MineCraft I can now get them motivated to create 3D models.  In terms of assessing, the studetns are required to take a photo of their sketch, isometric drawing and screen shot of their creating.  They upload this to our blog where I can assess it at a later date.

Here is an example of the first who finished yesterday

http://melvilleroom6.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/prep-logo.html

• Tracy Tindle (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2013 8:46am ()

We use Minecraft quite a lot in my class and have most recently used it in maths for measurement where students built researched and built and ancient greek village (we were studying this for social studies) and then used this to create a range of measurement tasks such as finding the perimter, area and volume of their buildings and  the perimeter of their village.  

This is a copy of their doc they had to complete.

Perimeter, Area and Volume Minecraft Mashup

Remember- In our builds, 1m : 1 block.

Use this website to help you find perimeter and area- http://www.bgfl.org/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/maths/perimeter_and_area/index.html

Perimeter

Perimeter is the distance around something.  It is always represented by the m2

1.  Measure the perimeter around these buildings.  Write the answers in your maths books.

a.  Family house

b.  Main temple

c.  School

d.  Smaller temples

e.  Agora

f.  The perimeter of your entire village.

2.  Draw the floor plan for one of the family houses. Label all the rooms and the lengths of each wall.  

Find the perimeter for each room including the courtyard.  You must rule all lines!

Area

Area is how much space something takes up.  

1.  Find the area of these buildings.  Write the answers in your maths books.

a.  Family house

b.  Main temple

c.  School

d.  Smaller temples

e.  Agora

f.  The perimeter of your entire village.

2.  Draw the floor plan for the family house you used in the perimeter activity. Label all the rooms and the lengths of each wall.

Find the area of all the rooms the house you used for the perimeter activity.

Volume

Volume is the amount of space enclosed by a shape or object, how much 3-dimensional space (length, width, and height) it occupies.  it is always represented by m3

Find the volume of the temple by following this formula. (LengthxWidth) x height

Write the answers in your maths book.

1.  Find the volume of the temple.

Distance Comprehension Questions

Answer these questions in your maths books.  Remember to use the correct unit of measurement for each answer.

1.  Measure the distance around your village by calculating the following by using the fence blocks you have built around your village.

a.  What is the distance around your village if 1 fence block=1m?

b.  What is the distance around your village if 1 fence block= 1.5m?

c.  Convert your answer to question a into km.

d.  Convert your answer from question a into cm.

2.  Using the paths you have build throughout your village, find the distance between these places.  Remember that 1 block=1m.

a.  the distance from the temple to the agora

b.  the distance from the temple to the furthest house.

c.  The distance from the agora to the gymnasia

d.  the distance if you left the agora and travelled to the temple, then to the other two             

temples.

e.  the distance from the school to the agora

3.  How would the above distances change if 1 block=2m?

4.  What is the height of the main temple if 1 block:1m

Also check out our Lifeforms project at http://misstindlesclass.wordpress.com/life-forms-project/
  • Sharron Gray (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2013 6:32pm ()

I love what you are all doing, Tracy I visited your website, it is to use your students words "Awesome". Some fabulous ideas from you all for using minecraft, I am very keen to try some of it out with my classes. Thanks for sharing look forward to seeing more. Will keep an eye on the Harry Potter work, what a great idea.

• Andrew de Wit (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2013 10:03pm ()

Great also to hear what others are doing. We reviewed everything we had covered in the unit, listing everything to remind us all what we should have learnt. I put some time limits on and ran some micro teaching spots to help those who needed extra reviewing. At the moment I have seen some amazing work and problem solving but the enthusiasn is heading us into overtine which will be a delemma. Mostly seeing visual representations of fractions, fraction walls and quests where you need to answer questions to progress further. Will post some screen shots when all finished. 

• justin hickey (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2013 9:32pm ()

Hey guys very impressed and inspired. Do you have any advice for a novice. I am buzzing with ideas but not sure where to start. Could someone give me some direction.

Would be much appreciated

Justin

• Kassey Downard (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2013 9:27am ()

Hey Justin, 

Awesome so here someone else is inspired!

I started by having my students come up with a goal, in my class it was to just show off something they could do. This allowed for a lot of tuakana-teina. A lot of my class had already used Minecraft and were very confident and capable. They then supported my students that hadn't used it before. At the end of the session we looked at the pros and cons and discussed the educational value. From this my class and I were able to decide when we could use it.

You can check out the whole process on my blog - http://missdownard.blogspot.com/

Join this group to contribute to discussions.