Search

Computing Classes

• Public
Started by Leigh Hynes 03 Sep 2013 9:21pm () Replies (18)

What is the state of play with computing classes? Do they still exist and if so, what fabulous things are they doing and where?. Would love to hear some stories, please.

Replies

• gareth scholes (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2013 9:57pm ()

Hi Leigh, Computing classes? We have 4 Multimedia Classrooms at our intermediate school where each student purchases their own laptop. Is this what you mean?

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 5:10am ()

Actually I was thinking about secondary schools when i asked this question as a principal has asked me for advice about what other schools are doing.. but i would be happy to hear all sorts of computing class stories. Fire away.... ....

• Jane Whyte (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 7:54am ()

Many computing classes are now teaching Digital Technologies. Digital Technologies was first introduced in year 11 in 2011. Digital Technologies have been rolled out each year and now Digtal Technologies is being taught in Level 3 for the first time. There are 5 strands- Digital Media, Digital Information, Digital Infrastructure, Programming and Computer Science, Electronics. These are all achievement standard courses, and each strand has 2-3 standards in it for each year levele. This allows schools a wide scope of choices to meet the needs of their students.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 8:20am ()

Excellent, these are exactly the kinds of stories I am interested in. How many schools have dissolved computer pods now? Also what strands of digital technology tend to be taught now?  I guess i could be looking at an Nzqa database on how many students sit the assessments from each strand as well. I might have to go searching for that one but i would love to hear more Stories please.

• Neil_V (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 8:32am ()

Hi there,

I'm in the Primary at a Cambridge based campus, but here's a snippet from our recent colledge review on IT skill tuition... hope it helps?

"

College – iPads useful tool for classes to use in specially designed modules. School sets advantage as all have same apps. Laptops still the best tool for day to day use by students.

Cambridge Computing and ICT exams require a lab.

BYOD – already well underway for College.

Laptops preferred. Some rooms adapted with extra power. Computing room reversed.

Computer classes have had e-text book or paper option 50/50 split in uptake. Teacher observation is that students manage better with printed text.

Teacher management of BYOD – programmes to monitor student / strategies to get students to stay on task

Teaching of Computing and ICT

In an ideal world all juniors should be taught computing and problem solving skills in place of ICT. Basic ICT skills taught in context in different subject areas in High School. This is hard to achieve and maintain in practice.

Short term model for [our school]– Computing teacher takes junior classes for module of computing once seniors have left in T4. Rest of year, general teaching of ICT using on line programme such as current CLAIT taught by teachers who have general knowledge of ICT."

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:22am ()

Hi Neil, What do you mean the computer room is reversed? Other than Cambridge exams do the students sit NCEA Exams as well?

• Jenny Smith (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:08am ()

Hi

I teach in a Year 1-13 independent school in Auckland. I'm teach Years 7 to 13.

In the Middle School (Years 7-10) we have one compulsory lesson of ICT per week for either 2 terms or whole year, depending on the year level. These are conducted in one of our two computer labs with one computer per student. The premise of these ICT courses is:

(a) skills-based

(b) to support other faculty areas in terms of student use of ICT

Across the four years, we cover many units, including:

• word processing
    • desktop publishing
    • spreadsheets
    • image manipulation
    • website design
    • video editing
    • 3D modelling
    • introductory programming
    • touch typing
    • online safety

In Years 11-13, we offer the Cambridge International Exams (CIE). We currently offer IGCSE ICT at Year 11 although from next year we are switching to IGCSE Computer Science. The former has a mix of practical ICT skills involving Office products in particular, and an introduction to a wide range of theory topics. In Years 12-13 we offer A-Level Computing. One paper at each year level is on computer science theory and the other paper is full-on programming.

We also run a afterschool coding club for students in Years 7-13 and I have a few groups involved in the Codeworx Challenge.

I am also the cluster leader for CIE ICT and Computing teachers.

Regards

Jenny

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:20am ()

Hi Jenny, Do the other classes have computers in them, and if so, how many on average? Do your students do no NCEA exams or just not in Digital Technology?

• Jenny Smith (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:39am ()

Hi Leigh,

We are not a laptop school as such although students can bring in devices if they wish (although we don't have a formal BYOD programe as yet). Most don't, other than phones and some use iPads, but mainly for games during breaks at the moment. 

Students often use the computer labs in other classes as the rooms can be booked by staff when not being used for ICT lessons in Years 7-10.

The only students where a laptop is compulsory is my Year 11-13 students. It was a decision made on the nature of their courses, especially gaining continuity in their programming.

We don't offer NCEA. CIE only is our pathway.

Jenny

• Jenny Smith (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:41am ()

Other classrooms don't have even a pod of computers, just the teacher laptop. All classrooms have a mounted projector and many have Apple TV too as staff have iPads also.

• Sylvie Vasar (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:52am ()

Hi Leigh,

At Rotorua Intermediate we do have an ICT suite with 30 desktop computers. Each class has a minimum of 6 devices. Teachers bring their students to the ICT room on a time-tabled basis and whatever the students work on in the ICT suite is integrated into their learning. It could be working collaboratively on a research project, inquiry based, movie making and editing or students could be working on a "statistics" unit, etc.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 11:50am ()

Hi, Sylvie.  Thanks for sharing this information in this forum.  There are so many permutations of how access to ICTs are set up in different school, and it is very interesting to hear about the different models.

• Terry Hokianga (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 11:30am ()

I am not too sure as to what the original thought was in terms of this post but at our school in Dunedin we are slowly getting to grips with the ICT world both in terms of the teachers and our pupils perspectives. We have and are still active in Teacher PD with IPADS, Classroom active boards and team sessions improving ICT knowledge general or other wise. My leadership activity is to pair teachers who lack skill with those who do and many teachers have identified Knowledge net (our school wide system) as an area where they wish to improve. These grow goals are shared between the mentor and teacher and a plan put in place to improve knowledge over an agreed time between the two. This system seems to be very useful for our Principal and of course our ICT team who assist where necessary. You can imagine the excitement then as the teacher has the power and in turn takes it back to his/her class to share with class. Having fun is the big picture while learning.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 11:47am ()

Thanksfor sharing your pd structures, Terry.  It sounds like a really effective way to share skills.  PD just in time.

Basically, I am trying to find out if computing classes are still widespread in secondary schools and, if not, are the digital technology achievement standards dispersed throughout the school for teachers to assess or have they just been abandoned.  Does anyone know where I can get statistics on the numbers of student s sitting Digital Technology standards easily? 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.