Search

Blogging / Website / Wiki

• Public
Started by Jo Langdon 01 Sep 2013 8:40pm () Replies (13)

Hi there, I am at the very beginning of my ICT journey.  I am wanting to trial the use of blogging and/or a classroom website at our school and was hoping someone could give me a simply explaination of the differences/ pros/ cons between the two.  I am currently wondering about weebly or blogspot.  The class I will initally trial it in is a year 2/3 class.  But any comments relating to the use of either from N/E to year 6 would be appreciated.

Thanks Jo

Replies

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 9:18pm ()

Hi Jo. Most classroom teachers are using blogspot as a blog as it is easy to post and add to your sidebar.  A blog is generally used as a place to post current classroom happenings with photos, videos etc, like a diary. A website or wiki is usually a place to store classroom resources to support classroom learning eg literacy and maths websites, usually tends to be more static.  If you are intending to join in a quadblogging group, you will be best to have a blogspot blog, as it is easy for others to comment. There are some easy to follow instructions here on bling4yrblog for setting up and adding to a blog. 

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 9:34pm ()

Yes I agree I use blogspot and find it fab.  I have also set up pages which I have loaded wth my classes websites and resources.  They are year 2/3 and the first thing they do is search up our blog and all the links are there for them to do all their work, resources, quadblog links, school web link etc.

Have found it very easy to use, load pictures and videos and can update straight from the ipad email.

You can have a look at mine if you want www.room9rockets@blogspot.co.nz

Good Luck, here to help if you need anything.  I set mine up by watching a short youtube vid then by trial and error.  That is what I have advised my staff just get on and have a play.

• Miel (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 9:36pm ()

Hi Jo, I have a class blog and use it to share what the class has been learning family the children's family and our quad blogging group. As Barb said, it's like a diary and using by using blogspot we can email photos and videos as we record them. I use blogspot here's our blog feel to pop in and have a look http://mrsmacleanhns.blogspot.co.nz/ . This is different from the website or te portfolios as its an ongoing log of activity.

• Steph Kitto (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 10:11pm ()

HI Jo

I have just started blogging with my year 1/2 class and it is fantastic. Previously I kept a diary of our learning on our school website but it wasn't visited by parents very often and I began to wonder who I was doing it for. Blogs are so easy to manage and maintain.  You are able to track your visitors and the feedback visitors give, via the comments box, is a powerful motivation for all learners.  This term I signed my class up to a quadblogging group, so we are learning about how to leave messages on other classrooom blogs - the kids are thoroughly enjoying it.  They are really buzzing about our new blog and as a result most parents are visiting our blog several times a week and leaving comments and voice messages.  You are welcome to visit our blog and have a look at how I have set it up - www.clyderoom6.blogspot.co.nz      Good luck. I look forward to hearing how you get on. Smile

• Justine Hughes (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 11:04pm ()

Hi Jo.  

I've been blogging with classes for the past 6 years or so.  Have blogged with Year 5/6 and Year 7/8.  I have also used websites but prefer blogs by a long shot.  Blogger / Blogspot is the easiest to manage / use.

This year we have pretty much everything on our blog - it's a fantastic record of day to day teaching and learning.  The students also have their own blogs where they are recording their own learning journeys.

I've created a Kiwi version of Literature Circles for our school and this is quite an active blog designed to get kids - and adults - passionate about reading.

I will add the blog addresses below for you to have a look at.  The only thing to bear in mind is that the blogs have come to a little bit of a 'halt' at the moment as I've just been diagnosed with a brain tumour and have had to take leave from work and won't be able to return until at least November.  You'll still be able to get a 'feel' for what we've been doing though.  (I'll also add the address for a previous blog I ran with my Year 5 / 6s.
    http://room4learningjourneys.blogspot.co.nz - Class Blog

http://hendersonliteraturecircles.blogspot.co.nz - Literature Circles Blog

http://k12motivation.blogspot.co.nz - Professional Learning Blog

http://teamroom8.blogspot.co.nz - old class blog from Myross Bush School in Invercargill

As I'm off work for a little while, I'd be more than happy to help support you in setting up your blog / supporting you in your blogging journey so please don't hesitate to contact me.  My Masters is built around eLearning and I've focussed on blogging for some of my research. It's such an amazingly powerful tool for motivating students in all areas - particularly in reading and writing as it turns out.

You might also like the link to a Google Doc that contains a rubric that was developed by my class of Year 5/6 students and modified by my current class.  Please click on the link below - anyone else is free to grab this and modify it too if you'd like to - would love to share any improvments / modifications.

Effective Blogging Techniques

Justine

• Bruce Ngataierua (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 11:06pm ()

Hi Jo. Some great comments mentioned here and I thing Blogspot is great To use for class blogging. Another great blogging site you could try is Wordpress.

• Justine Hughes (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 10:37am ()

Hi Bruce

I'd be interested in your thoughts on Wordpress.  I've used that before and also Edublogs but have never found them to be as easy to use - or as flexible - as Blogger / Blogspot.

I think one of my favourite things about Blogger is that I can link everything 'Google' to it and it's so simple and easy to embed videos / other media.

Blogging is such a fantastic way to share learning with the local and global community and get learning conversations happening.

• Bruce Ngataierua (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 9:26am ()

Hi Jo,

I like some of the features that Wordpress has that are similar to Blogger for individual blogging. You're right that Wordpress is not as flexible as Blogger as this is linked to Google and its various features but I can link my other blogs into Wordpress like my blogger account.

I haven't used it for class blogs so I would be interested in there are any others who have made blogs using Wordpress or Edublogs and if they work well like Blogger.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 2:53pm ()

I have paid for a pro Edublogs account for my Edblog.

http://allanahk.edublogs.org/

And under that can have fledging student edublogs that I can monitor. Because I can have 60 Edublog blogs under that pro account I have shared my blog with another teacher so she can use it with her class.

Without the Pro account I found advertising linked itself to random words and I couldn't embed everything that I wanted.

So I sort of happily pay the $$$ rather than have that happen.

• Jo Langdon (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 5:18pm ()

We now have our blogspot up and running with our children's first blogs on it.  The parents are having trouble posting comments.  Does each of them have to set up a google account to be able to post comments - or is there a way they can comment straight from our blog.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 5:28pm ()

Hi Jo,

this depends on the settings on your blog. Go to your Blogger Dashboard (for this you go to blogger.com, log in, click on your blog name). Go down to settings on the left, click on posts and settings. Here you select who can comment - I usually select anyone because I select to moderate all comments. When people comment, they can select what identity to use, this could be a Google Account. I usually encourage students to select "Name/URL" and type in their first name (and leave the URL field free).

I hope you find this helpful! Monika

• Jo Langdon (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 6:26pm ()

Thank you Monika.  I have e-mailed one of the parents the instructions so fingers crossed we get some comments happening.

Jo

Join this group to contribute to discussions.