Search

Hello Barb

• Public
Started by Wendy Mack 26 Aug 2013 6:24pm () Replies (5)

Well it looks like we did it Barb!  Pat on the back for us.  I just read an interesting article in the PPTA news which rang a bell about our attendance data.  The article talks about using generalisations rather than factual information to change policy around education.  The main generalisation used in NZ is that 1 in 5 students are failing.  This is actually not the case.  When we talk about our attendance issues we also tend to generalise and in fact make excuses for our students low attendance.  We blame sick children, appointments and family issues, however when we actually "ask the question" and look at other useful variables such as age we realise that these excuses are ours, not the students. In fact in term one this year 7 of the lowest 10 attenders at our school were pregnant.  So much for sick kids.  I guess the answer is data.  Actually researching the issue and having some clear answers that we can then use to put in new incentives or strategies to support students coming to school.

Replies

• Rotoura Teen Parent Unit (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2013 4:14pm ()

Should we look at the teacher inquiry idea and get the data from the students we are concerned with at the moment?  I am sure we could do something that would enlightened us.  I have a feeling we already know the answers its just how to get them to school regularly enough so they achieve.

• He Wero O Nga Wahine (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 9:02am ()

Yay I am in!!!!!!!!! HI !!!

Who runs a van to collect the girls, how long tdoes it take each morning and afternoon??

Our Principal suggested last week that getting a taxi van would be cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thkn not, and the babies wouldnt be in car seats unless they waitd 10 minutes at each house while they put them in the van!!!!!

some people have no idea!

• He Wero O Nga Wahine (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 12:33pm ()

Thanks for your response Barabara, we already  run one van and have been promised a second in April, even though we have the money set aside for it, and found a perfect vehicle, it is held up while they contemplate ridiculous "solutions"

I was just wondering how much time other units spend on travel.

• Wendy Mack (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 4:39pm ()

Hi there,  I have suggested a couple of times for our school to look into the M.O.E supplying the transport similar to the way it is done for special needs schools.  My daughter attends one and so is entitled to conveyancing which is obviously tendered out to local bus/taxi companies.  Her school then has nothing to do with the transport.  Might be an idea to look into it.  Would mean not paying drivers, regos, repairs, maintenanca and of course petrol.  I have been worried that our transport cost are a really large percentage of our income.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.