Search

What can this group do for us?

As we build our local community online, we might also want to think about how this social learning platform can help with our own professional/personal inquiries and PLD needs.

1. You might be interested in Why build an online community?

2. You might be interested in how this learning group can help you?

3. You might also be interested in how the tools in this professional learning network can work for you?

Replies

• Lyn Ross (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 12:50pm ()

I love the Powtoon, Tessa.   It explains the idea really clearly, all the main points are there ... and it's really cute!

• Pat Hargreaves (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 2:30pm ()

Certainly keen on the concept of building an online community of practice, rather than a 'social network' type.

Would be also keen, perhaps as a start point, to find out who has particular area's of interest/knowledges etc.

As example, I have a particular passion regarding the (possibly) required shift in skills/competencies of teachers to provide the personalised programs that may be possible via technology.

In particular - pedagogical approaches versus androgogical (child verus adult) - essentially about developing self directed learners. Anyone interested in this as a discussion topic?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 4:05pm ()

Hi there Pat, I have enjoyed reading your comments here and in the introductory thread. I'd love to know more about your Masters Thesis (2010) was about personalising learning and the future effects with regard to classroom practice...

When you say, provide the personalised programs that may be possible via technology, do you mean teaching personalised programmes in primary classrooms, secondary or self-directed learning as adults?

I'm also interested in androgogy and have played around with some ideas here - I'd love your thoughts/feedback on this resource too Smile.

• Pat Hargreaves (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2013 12:18pm ()

Quick message.

The ideas you linked are fairly sound. Malcolm Knowles was essentially the start of that type of thinking (way back in the 70s). The interesting thing, is that the thinking behind androgogy (in my opinion) is essentially where we want students to end up, and is also almost a pre-requisite for personalised learning - which technology is particularly advantageous for e.g. on demand.

The key here, or model if you like, (which I haven;t yet fully formulated) is how do you shift from pedagogical practice (which works particularly well for dependent learners) to androgogical (which works particularly well for self directed learners - which adults usually are. That's the real issue for schools to my way of thinking. How do you do this in a staged, deliberate manner that develops this in both students and staff?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.