Search

BYOD Pedagogy | An Enabling e-Learning event

Education, at its heart, is about personalisation.

We’ve moved a long way from the old approach of everyone facing the front and writing down the same thing at the same time….Technology has meant that we can personalise learning and make a real difference for each child. CORE Education’s Ten Trends | Personalisation.

Ubiquitous learning means... learning anywhere, anytime, using any device.

As more and more schools undertake to trial BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) and implement personalisation with 1-1 devices, it’s important to explore the ‘why’ and the pedagogy for effective implementation.

Technology transforming Education from Enabling e-Learning

Join us this month, in this designated forum - as we engage with some special guests to discuss:

• Why go BYOD?
  • How do schools come to the realization that BYOD is important for their students/teachers?
  • How is the wider community informed, consulted and involved with BYOD?
  • What considerations and processes sit behind the successful implementation of BYOD?

You might also be interested in other networked conversations and resources:

Replies

• Dave Cassaidy (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 5:10pm ()

In our secondary school we have had a voluntary BYOD for several years, and the uptake has been rising exponentially every year. However, it is primarily the senior students who do BYOD. The junior students still access most of their e-learning via the traditional 'suites" of computers, although more and more individual teachers are being able to install a small pos of class tablets / notebooks. What it seems to reinforce is that the embracing of e-learning has to be across the board, and if the teachers (often led by a faculty leader or dean) are unwilling to take bold steps with new initiatives, then change will happen at a glacial pace. Fortunately our feeder schools are forging ahead with e-learning, and so it may well be the learning styles and needs of the future students that will force the hand of our more 'old school' teachers. 

• KristinM (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 5:37am ()

I agree that the way to go as far as user agreements for students is through a focus on values and self-management.  Student use agreements based on low trust models will only remove responsibility from the students and put the school in a position of policing use.  Our school worked through a series of values-based modules with students and they earned a 'license' to use BYO devices and tablets in our school upon completion of the course.  We have had very few issues with abuse or misuse of devices at school.

• Jan Thomas (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 9:17pm ()

I am at an Intermediate School-decile 3. We won't be bringing in BYOD for a while as most students don't have a device for financial reasons. But we have a good range of lease laptops and PC's with google as our main store of data.

Shifting from microsoft to google has been a struggle for some kids but not for others. Keeping to their Student Use Agreement is pretty good for the majority but there is always the few who push the boundaries. We have noticed a larger group of children organising their social lives with their working mums or dad at school using gmail and yes it is bringing school home and home to school.  

Next year we will trial a digital portfolio and judge the communities access and response bearing in mind the extra (although minimal) cost, time will tell whether it is favoured and our homes support it.

Such a selection of APPs. Early in the year I made the mistake of introducing 8 or so and since then kids have found a few more but we don't use them all now. There is often a new find each week just like a 'fad' but if it improves students outcomes then it has it's merits.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 10:44am ()

Hi all Smile What do people consider are the core/must have Apps if your BYOD initiative involves using tablets?

Here's a blog post from 21st Century Fluency Project, 11 BYOD Apps That Keep The Focus On Content, curriculum knowledge and publication.

Do you agree? What would be your top 11 (or 1 or 2) to recommend to others?

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 23 Sep 2013 6:37pm ()

Hi Amanda-Ellesbeth

Thanks for sharing the helpful link.  We are getting a network audit done in a couple of weeks and will keep your advice in mind. 

• Amanda-Ellesbeth Neemia (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2013 4:55pm ()

Hi Sylvie,

Yes it is all fun and games at the moment. We do use a combination of Google and Ultranet. We use Google for planning and sharing assessment stuff and Ultranet for the storing of portfilos and conversing with the students about their work etc. To be honest both have their pros and cons. With Ultranet I can assign filo tasks and students can submit their work which I can mark, send back or submit to their filos. I'm not keen on the fact that I can't see in one place what they are doing at that exact moment in time but I do like how when they submit work to me it is in all the same place.

We use a combination of devices and have found iPads, window based machines great for uploading documents, images audio etc to Ultranet but if we use Andriod we have problems. We have had to spend a good amount of time problem solving these issues and to be honest it has just made the students more determined to "fix the problem", and as long as I ensure time for this and reflection/discussion it really isn't an issue.

When we use google docs the kids find some of the formatting a problem and really do need to use the appropriate document type for the task. They have found that uploading word doc to Google poses a few formating issues but it is, what it is. 

I am pleased we have gone for the "we'll take anything" approach, even if it has caused a few headaches. We have had the best discussions about ways to get around stuff and the kids are just amazing at sharing their knowledge. I know that I am a competent user of technology and I find it easy to switch from one device to the next so I do worry about my colleagues who struggle. We have run a number of workshops for basic iPad use and have stressed the iPad use as opposed to just choosing a few apps and running with it, which I'm glad we have taken that stance.

• Amanda-Ellesbeth Neemia (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2013 4:41pm ()

Hi All,

I was I found this online and thought I'd share http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-steps-for-a-successful-byod-adoption/

I really like the one that states "Audit your network" as I think people would be really surprised at the state of their network. Often I hear "oh we can't do this..or that", when a majority of the time they just don't know what they've got or the capabilities, often leading to unforseen costs or bad purchasing decisions. I cannot say this enough but take the time to develop a good working realtionship with your Tech support and include them in the dialogue about where to next, whilst still maintain ownership of the network. 

A

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2013 4:47pm ()

Again, thank you everyone for such a great read - a real mixture of personal stories, readings, research, global trends and big ideas - all providing a valuable insight into the considerations needed when trialing or implementing BYOD. 

I like finding resources that start with a number and this link doesn't disappoint Smile  6 Questions To Ask Before Doing BYOD (Edudemic) has a handy infographic - that provides a starting point for discussion/debate across all community members (students, teachers, family/whānau).

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2013 8:58pm ()

Yah Shona - ta for sharing... 

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2013 9:20pm ()

Good news today.  Apple announced that the iWorks apps plus iMovie and iPhoto are come included free with all new iOS devices. That is over $50(NZD) free. Nice

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.