Search

BYOD Pedagogy | An Enabling e-Learning event

Education, at its heart, is about personalisation.

We’ve moved a long way from the old approach of everyone facing the front and writing down the same thing at the same time….Technology has meant that we can personalise learning and make a real difference for each child. CORE Education’s Ten Trends | Personalisation.

Ubiquitous learning means... learning anywhere, anytime, using any device.

As more and more schools undertake to trial BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) and implement personalisation with 1-1 devices, it’s important to explore the ‘why’ and the pedagogy for effective implementation.

Technology transforming Education from Enabling e-Learning

Join us this month, in this designated forum - as we engage with some special guests to discuss:

• Why go BYOD?
  • How do schools come to the realization that BYOD is important for their students/teachers?
  • How is the wider community informed, consulted and involved with BYOD?
  • What considerations and processes sit behind the successful implementation of BYOD?

You might also be interested in other networked conversations and resources:

Replies

• Dave Cassaidy (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 5:10pm ()

In our secondary school we have had a voluntary BYOD for several years, and the uptake has been rising exponentially every year. However, it is primarily the senior students who do BYOD. The junior students still access most of their e-learning via the traditional 'suites" of computers, although more and more individual teachers are being able to install a small pos of class tablets / notebooks. What it seems to reinforce is that the embracing of e-learning has to be across the board, and if the teachers (often led by a faculty leader or dean) are unwilling to take bold steps with new initiatives, then change will happen at a glacial pace. Fortunately our feeder schools are forging ahead with e-learning, and so it may well be the learning styles and needs of the future students that will force the hand of our more 'old school' teachers. 

• Jan Thomas (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2013 9:17pm ()

I am at an Intermediate School-decile 3. We won't be bringing in BYOD for a while as most students don't have a device for financial reasons. But we have a good range of lease laptops and PC's with google as our main store of data.

Shifting from microsoft to google has been a struggle for some kids but not for others. Keeping to their Student Use Agreement is pretty good for the majority but there is always the few who push the boundaries. We have noticed a larger group of children organising their social lives with their working mums or dad at school using gmail and yes it is bringing school home and home to school.  

Next year we will trial a digital portfolio and judge the communities access and response bearing in mind the extra (although minimal) cost, time will tell whether it is favoured and our homes support it.

Such a selection of APPs. Early in the year I made the mistake of introducing 8 or so and since then kids have found a few more but we don't use them all now. There is often a new find each week just like a 'fad' but if it improves students outcomes then it has it's merits.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2013 10:44am ()

Hi all Smile What do people consider are the core/must have Apps if your BYOD initiative involves using tablets?

Here's a blog post from 21st Century Fluency Project, 11 BYOD Apps That Keep The Focus On Content, curriculum knowledge and publication.

Do you agree? What would be your top 11 (or 1 or 2) to recommend to others?

• Amanda-Ellesbeth Neemia (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2013 4:41pm ()

Hi All,

I was I found this online and thought I'd share http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-steps-for-a-successful-byod-adoption/

I really like the one that states "Audit your network" as I think people would be really surprised at the state of their network. Often I hear "oh we can't do this..or that", when a majority of the time they just don't know what they've got or the capabilities, often leading to unforseen costs or bad purchasing decisions. I cannot say this enough but take the time to develop a good working realtionship with your Tech support and include them in the dialogue about where to next, whilst still maintain ownership of the network. 

A

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 23 Sep 2013 6:37pm ()

Hi Amanda-Ellesbeth

Thanks for sharing the helpful link.  We are getting a network audit done in a couple of weeks and will keep your advice in mind. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2013 4:47pm ()

Again, thank you everyone for such a great read - a real mixture of personal stories, readings, research, global trends and big ideas - all providing a valuable insight into the considerations needed when trialing or implementing BYOD. 

I like finding resources that start with a number and this link doesn't disappoint Smile  6 Questions To Ask Before Doing BYOD (Edudemic) has a handy infographic - that provides a starting point for discussion/debate across all community members (students, teachers, family/whānau).

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2013 8:58pm ()

Yah Shona - ta for sharing... 

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2013 9:20pm ()

Good news today.  Apple announced that the iWorks apps plus iMovie and iPhoto are come included free with all new iOS devices. That is over $50(NZD) free. Nice

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2013 8:56pm ()

I really enjoyed the webinar last night.. great to see some of you on there :)) 

What a great thing to be where-ever, and tune in to something collaborative and informative. Thanks for that Tessa and Karen.

Just an aside to our thread on iPads and pedagogy. I share the following link that is very worthwhile reading. It highlights the emerging technologies over the next five years in education. What a lot of challenges and opportunities await us...  I think that when we think about iPads and pedagogy, we ought to be just making a note to ourselves about pedagogies that are perhaps fluid, transferable, or evolutionary in nature, with the rapidity of emerging technologies in education. ( Another topic altogether is the research out there on uptake of emerging and hyped technologies - what are the underlying factors in how technologies are adopted. I've read interesting research recently, pointing to the fact that functionality plays very little role in the adoption of new techs by people  Laughing  Hedman, J., & Gimpel, G. (2010). The adoption of hyped technologies: a qualitative study.  Information Technology Management, 11. 161- 175). 

The report of my focus was published by the New Media Consortium this year, is put  together from the input of 750 technology and faculty members of around 40 universities and intitutions around the globe, including the ISTE organisation. It is solid information. Here is a copy/paste of the key emerging technologies in Ed over the next five years, but do read the more detailed follow on of each tech and its' role in ed.

The NMC’s latest research efforts, the NMC Horizon Report: 2013 K-12 Edition and the NMC Horizon Report: 2013 Higher Education Edition, were released this spring, and together highlight ten emerging technologies that will impact education over the course of the next five years: cloud computing, mobile learning, learning analytics, open content, 3D printing, MOOCs, virtual and remote laboratories, games and gamification, tablet computing, and wearable technology.

We already use/have knowledge of some of these ourselves no doubt, and the more mainstream they become, the need for evolutionary teaching practice and learning opportunities becomes more apparent. A timely reminder to consider the notion of a 'teacher-divide' in light of the list. We've seen last week the first wristband device in the country in the news.

http://www.teachthought.com/technology/10-specific-examples-of-emerging-educational-technologies/ 

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 09 Sep 2013 8:50pm ()

Shona I enjoyed and agree with the age old addage, "give a man a fish....and teach him how to fish.." you chose an excellent expression and I think you should pen a letter to the editor and reply to Rata's award winning paper and stance!!

Mark, I agree with the approach your High school has adopted regarding values based self-managing online behaviours .. as you say, it is all logged on the net anyway, and our KC's are all about moving students forward in self responsibility. Those few who are going to walk on the edge can explore the tumble over the side. As a teacher in a full primary, we have timers on our net, and have filtering and are exploring other options at the moment, as we move school-wide to BYO iPad - at the  moment we have 5 classes that have school purchased, and student owned iPads operating. 

Students want to connect and communicate, and have been found to be emailing mum or dad during school time, retelling some issue... so we are working on teaching appropriate contact .. emailing when it is part of what we're doing etc.  It's so very new and novel at the moment, and I think it is all about providing engaging opportunities to do the four C's - create, connect, content, and collaborate so that we channel and harness the interests... good old 21st C inquiry focused learning... 

Our Student Use Agreement form is built around NetSafe's latest policy examples whereby it is very values based - lots of "we will" rather than "I will not"

cheersFrown

Anjela

• Andrew de Wit (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2013 9:43pm ()

My experience  would say that at the heart of BYOD must be a really clear user agreement that is understood by students, parents and all staff. It drives our safety (we have Watchdog standard filtering) and consequence.

The other day I looked sideways at one of my students who had just emailed his mum asking permission to get an app. After some reflection I reminded myself that this was one of the key reasons we went BYOD - we wanted to connect the school world with the home world. I wanted my students to go home and show their Mum and Dad what they had learnt/done today. I wanted it to be feasible for them to bring school home and it is working! It is scary at times because it is much more transparent but I do believe it is removing the separation that seems to often develop.

And then there are moments when you see the worth - we were introduced to a "Text to Speech" app in Chrome (and the "speak" in the IPad) that enables our students to have their writing read by the computer or articles read on the internet. When my struggling reading students see striaght away how much this will help them in their learning. When others 'hear' and therefore get immediate feedback on how they can improve striaght away with lining up. This is the vision of BYOD for me - connected, self motivated, self managing learners.. 

• KristinM (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 5:37am ()

I agree that the way to go as far as user agreements for students is through a focus on values and self-management.  Student use agreements based on low trust models will only remove responsibility from the students and put the school in a position of policing use.  Our school worked through a series of values-based modules with students and they earned a 'license' to use BYO devices and tablets in our school upon completion of the course.  We have had very few issues with abuse or misuse of devices at school.

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2013 10:53am ()

Angela, this is a really worthwhile type of article to see now and again as it helps us to critique our own practices and philosophies. 

Along with other points made in the article, my continuing concern is that teachers are perceived as being seen to be taken out of the equation when it comes to e-learning and teaching and I felt that Elizabeth Rata was eluding to this:

"Dispense with the teacher, bring out the iPad, let's co-inquire together. But pupils don't know what they don't know. You can't look it up on Google when you don't know what you are looking for. You can't recognise it when you see it, and you can't judge it if you do find it."

Excuse me? Isn't this what teachers do? Don't we pose the big questions ( they don't know what they don't know. You can't look it up on Google when you don't know what you are looking for)? Don't we model research skills and the critiquing of information and cross referencing, roam and listen to the learning conversations, pose open ended questions to guide, encourage collaboration and learning discussions, scaffold depending on the skill base of our students, share our findings (You can't recognize it when you see it, and you can't judge it if you do find it)? Teachers starts out with a plan whoch includes knowing what they want their students to get out of an investigation (including the knowledge) and embrace any additions the students bring and ensure the students are aware of the skills they are acquiring by going through this process. The whole idea is to slowly let go of the reins, but still ensure students maintain the quality of the investigations and the knowledge they obtain.

Lets be clear about this - the iPad (or any device) is a tool albeit a very versatile one. As with pen and paper, we as teachers are here to help our students use it to their academic advantage. 

Whatever happened to that idea of "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day but teach him to fish you'll feed him for a lifetime."  Isn't that want we are aiming to do in the NZC? Isn't that what we are doing for our students?  

May our students become lifelong learners and cast their nets in whichever direction they wish and have the freedom (by having the skills) to gather the knowledge they find valuable.

Thank you Elizabeth for a thought provoking article and Anjela for bringing it to our attention.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.