Search

2013: Leadership and strategic planning for e-learning | NAPP Kōrero 14

Started by Karen Spencer 22 Aug 2013 3:36pm () Replies (350)

Planning strategically for the integration of technologies across a school community can be complex, challenging and rewarding by turns. A principal will draw on a wide variety of competencies to balance the needs of learners, staff, the community and infrastructure. Increasingly, many schools in New Zealand are turning to the e-Learning Planning Framework to help inform that process.

In this Leadership story from Enabling e-Learning's media gallery, Tony Zaloum and Mark Quigley, school leaders at Orewa College, talk about how they have juggled a number of complex dimensions as part of their e-learning planning [transcipt on the Enabling e-Learning site]:

This kōrero will unpack some of the attributes and competencies that e-learning leaders seem to have, and explore ways in which the framework can be used as a smart tool in your review and planning processes.

There will be two webinars [the second repeats the first] as part of this kōrero, which you can register for below:     Webinar 1: 11 September   |   Webinar 2: 30 October

Our key question: how can principals take an active role in their school’s strategic planning to use technologies as part of effective teaching and learning?

Replies

• Julie Earl (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2013 7:06pm ()

Helen you have highlighted a key point regarding having too many initiatives going at once in a school. Teachers are busy let alone having time to think and digest information about multiple initiatives. I subscibe to the school of thought that it is much better to do less and do it properly. Priorities.....the debate should be had amongst staff...what will make to most difference for learning?

• Julie Earl (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2013 6:56pm ()

We have over 1500 devices connected to our network ( wireless) but have filters in place so students and staff are protected ...to the extent that is possible anyway. School culture plays a big part around safety I think. Although there was some anxiety when we opened things up it has been much less of an issue than we imagined. We do focus on teaching safety etc...

• Julie Earl (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2013 6:51pm ()

We have rolled BYOD device at our year 7 - 13 school. We strongly encouraged students in year 7 and 9 to bring any device whilst opening it up to the whole school to bring a device. We appointed a Director of e- learning who is doing an excellent job. She runs whole school, small group, one on one PD plus we have one of our professional learning teams working in this area. We have communicated regularly with updated statis tics about who is using what as well as held parent  meetings. Most of our students have chosen a laptop or NetBook  as they find iPads somewhat limiting. Our principal is fully supportive even though he isn't an overly savvy  technology user...he has other valued attributes. He has been very happy to put the resources in. We are very lucky to gave an excellent IT team who did the set up work for wireless etc. things are running very smoothly.....students are adapting, teachers too, students are engaged..it is a natural part of their world.

• Janet McCarroll (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2013 1:31pm ()

Hi Anne Marie,

Exciting to hear how your students have responded to using Google Docs for writing with the purpose of receiveing feedback. Giving and receiving feeback, refining strategies for this is a particular interest of mine, as I near completion of my Masters Thesis on 'Assessment and  Student Self -Reporting using e-Portfolios'.  Hattie alerts us to an awareness that peer to peer feedback is a strategy increasingly employed and encouraged in classrooms and in the on-line environment. Hattie suggests that this requires a well scaffolded environment where students have developed 'assessment capable strategies' and as Absolum also points out, sdtudents require the acquired langauge to be effective at feedback/ feed forward stragies , just as we teachers also require this support, to enable us to teach our students these strategies. I was surprised to learn:

" As Nuthall ( 2007) has shown, 80% of feedback a student receives about his or her work in elementary ( primary) school is from other students. But 80% of this student- provided feedback is incorrect! "( Hattie, 2009, p.4)- Visible Learning A Synthesis of over 800 Meta-Analysis Relating to Achievement 

This got me thinking deeply about how best feedback is given and received in the online environment. At our school we have valued 'dialogic learning conversations' between teacher and student and student to student. These conversations have been resourced ( teachers released to conduct learning conversations with students), whilst the school developed a learning vision: " To develop assessment capable students, teachers, school leaders and parents". This has been an interesting three year journey, enhancing the assessment capability of students. We incorporated the learning conversations in 'Learning Stories' in the e-Portfolio, collating and archiving the 'learning conversation' between teacher and student using audio or video files of the student self reporting to the teacher. This is rich evidence of progress and achievement, offering an insight into the student's strengths and learning gaps, used to inform next teaching steps and curriculum design. We focussed on Literacy and Numeracy Learning Stories, but have begun exploring the Conceptual Curriculum and Creativity using the same student self reporting model developed in the Learning Stories. 

I am inetersted in your use of Google Docs, as our LMS was  an identified barrier, as ease of use for all stakeholders has been an issue! We will use Google Docs in 2014. 

It's great to hear of your students enagaement in their writing! Very exciting. 

I think students need to be explicitely taught the startegies to provide effective feedback and feed forward, just as their teachers do. But thats a whole other story! Congratulations on your efforts to date. I'd be interested to see how your story develops!

• Aloma (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 9:36pm ()

Hi Carmel, so far the biggest progress I have had re use of technology has come from key staff members being available for a quick buddy up when I know what I want to set up. I have sat through a lot of PD workshops but implemented little due to not having the matching technology available, time to experiment or ability to make it meaningful in what I am currently working on. The principal's role in this respect is to then have a learning environment in the school where the tech experts have time to be available and a shared vision of what the benefits for the school/children will be if they find time to help colleaguess at whatever stage they are up to.

• Aloma (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 9:22pm ()

Hi Anne-Marie, sounds like your group have taken a massive leap with really just a handful of resources but it is the way you have set it up that has made the difference. Fantastic that the parents are connected in such a timely way. Reporting to parents will look and sound different soon won't it.

• Anne-Marie Barbalich (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 7:57pm ()

Hi Katrina

I had an interesting chat with Deb today about their school's development of an implementation plan for use of I-pads.  They have already made basic decisions about purchase of pods for syndicate use and are now assessing suitable apps for each level of the school.  This is enabling them to get a handle on site licences etc, as well as ring fencing the number of apps installed on any one machine!

I think a plan is really helpful- and the process of planning expenditure etc focuses your team on the specifics of function and purpose!

• Anne-Marie Barbalich (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 7:48pm ()

Hi Leigh

I have recently has a really exciting experience with google docs....

We purchased a small pod (of 4) netbooks.  These enable the children to access (via wireless) from anywhere in the classroom- also doubling my class allocation of 4 desktops (configured as a 3+1 x-tenda.  All these computers are internet-ready...and the new purchase has the added advantage of SPEED!  

We have fitted this Year 4 class out with email addresses, so they can log on to their own google docs account.  I also arranged a couple of designated "feedback buddies for each student".  These people would have "commenting and editing" access to their documents, opening the possibilities of intersctive writing.

Within the first week, the children dropped the practice of drafting their writing on paper.  They now plan what they want to say, then draft, give and respond to feedback from myself or their peers, rework their writing in response to feedback and share their completed writing with parents as well as wider familied.  

The impact of this technology on the children's writing has been immense.  Giving and recieving feedback has been really motivational.  Because the feedback is given and recieved in real time, the childrens' writing has actually become an interactive activity!  The quality of the writing shows significant shift... firstly because the writers are motivated- enjoying the process of writing (simplified and speedy) and also because we are able to make suggestions about how the writing can be improved- no need for it to grow stale over time.  And the tedious process of rewriting (especially for boys) is shortcut!

Parents are excited too- as they are able to share in their children's writing immediately...an added buzz for the children whose parents work shift or live in another city!

My next step??? I can see real possibilities for this as a means or sharing learning with families... a sort of 21st century 3-way interview!

• katrinad (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2013 7:44pm ()

I totally agree Caron. We don't expect the principal to be the best maths teacher or the best PE teacher but to be able to resource and support those that are, ensuring these programmes are well delivered in the school. And I think the same principle applies to e-learning, the leader needs to be familiar with what is happening and make sure it is resourced and supported. Like all PD the principal needs to demonstrate leadership by being involved, but also giving opportunities for others to lead.

• John Topp (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2013 11:27pm ()

Phebe - This is a great idea. Reading through these posts leads me to thinking about the progression from unconsciously incompetent to consciously incompetent to consciously competent to unconsciously competent. Getting staff to show what they are doing allows people to know what they don't know and acknowledge where thay may be in terms if ICT's and their integration into programmes of learning. 

An interesting outcome of moving into the 21st century for some staff is that they are put into the same position as the students in their classes in terms of a learning process. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.