Search

2013: Leadership and strategic planning for e-learning | NAPP Kōrero 14

Started by Karen Spencer 22 Aug 2013 3:36pm () Replies (350)

Planning strategically for the integration of technologies across a school community can be complex, challenging and rewarding by turns. A principal will draw on a wide variety of competencies to balance the needs of learners, staff, the community and infrastructure. Increasingly, many schools in New Zealand are turning to the e-Learning Planning Framework to help inform that process.

In this Leadership story from Enabling e-Learning's media gallery, Tony Zaloum and Mark Quigley, school leaders at Orewa College, talk about how they have juggled a number of complex dimensions as part of their e-learning planning [transcipt on the Enabling e-Learning site]:

This kōrero will unpack some of the attributes and competencies that e-learning leaders seem to have, and explore ways in which the framework can be used as a smart tool in your review and planning processes.

There will be two webinars [the second repeats the first] as part of this kōrero, which you can register for below:     Webinar 1: 11 September   |   Webinar 2: 30 October

Our key question: how can principals take an active role in their school’s strategic planning to use technologies as part of effective teaching and learning?

Replies

• Sean Wansbrough (View all users posts) 05 Dec 2013 5:02pm ()

Principals need to become learners alongside their staff and students. They can learn as effectively from the youngest member of their school community as they can with the most skilled technical adult they work with.

• Sean Wansbrough (View all users posts) 05 Dec 2013 5:02pm ()

Principals need to become learners alongside their staff and students. They can learn as effectively from the youngest member of their school community as they can with the most skilled technical adult they work with.

• Kris Burden (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2013 11:17pm ()

You are so right Pete. The appointment process and effective performance management are key elements in ensuring the implementation of a strategic plan. I really like the skill sets, etc. that you suggest to be included when advertising for teachers. So, why wait for this to happen in the future...let's make it today!  

• Geraldine Sumner (View all users posts) 27 Nov 2013 8:52am ()

We have been working with Diane Mills on a strategic plan for 2013 - 2014. Using their framework has really helped develop priorities and how to impliment changes into our school. We have met alot of resistence, but having outside agencies really enhances the process of leading change. I would strongly recommend you contact Diane Mills on VLN for advice on how to get started and help with developing your own framework.

i have put our school framework on My Portfolio Page to be viewed.

• Philippa (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 11:02pm ()

Thanks for the rich korero on this subject. Any new initiative needs the support of the Principal and the BOT. It is important key people are enlisted who have the enthusiasm to work through the finer details and take everyone on the journey. Enabling others to lead but at the same time supporting with the resources should look for success in the future. At present enabling e - earning is today's initiative. There will be others. The Principal needs to ensure he/she has regular meetings with the team, that listening skills are sharp with good reflective questions being asked. Key points for the principal to consider are structures in palce, what needs to be done, are the necessary personnel employed, those with the skills and how will this best benefit teaching and learning

• Sue Smith (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 9:34pm ()

My heartfelt agreement Pete. The inclusion of our digital profiles should become an expected part of our CVs when applying for positions and acceptance of CV e-copies and job e-applications should support this.

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 9:16pm ()

Agree with you Justin.

I think we'll know when principals are serious about the use of ICT in schools when in the gazette we stop seeing vacancies:

..... Strengths in numercay and literacy required..... ICT an advantage.... Apply in writing to.....

Because every teacher a principal employs who isn't using ICT effectively takes a school backwards, i.e. they are actually incurring a PLD debt.

I'm imagining a day where vacancies look like:

.... Send a link to a YouTube video where you (or some students) describe: a) How you use ICT to deliver the student-centered and driven curriculum the NZC prescribes.  b)  Articulate one part of 'accepted teaching practice' that you disagree with, providing justification ...

There will be a time (shortly I hope) where there are some existing teachers that can not demonstrate the abilities and philosphies necessary to apply for a teaching vacancy and gain employment.

For those already in teaching positions, I'd like principals to start actually evaluating teachers against the RTC when signing off on their registration (it should not be an automatic thing), particularly RTC 4(iii):

4. demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of personal professional practice.

iii. initiate learning opportunities to advance personal professional knowledge and skills

The key here is that it is the teacher's responsibility to initiate PLD, not the schools.  If you are not doing this, you are not upholding the responsiblities of our profession.

Both of these initiatives may seem a bit harsh, but are necessary if we are to drag the profession kicking and screaming into the 21st century that our students were born in to.

Pete

• Justin Harper (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 8:33pm ()

Hi there Jess,

For me the Principal needs to be highly reflective of IT plans (I know of schools still paying thousands for membership to 'School Nets' which were the trend a while back).  One of the practices I commend my Principal for is to seek innovators in the staff, work out with they are doing and then using them as a means of upskilling the other staff in the school.  At my current work place this has seen moodle being superceeded by Edmodo - simply because staff taught eachother and recommended. 

But how can schools be strategic in this... many of the commercial organisations have vested interests in forwarding their 'products' (I saw a little hint of this at the Hui where we had a 'presentation' by the inventors or myportfolio).  By it's very notion strategic planning and the rapid speed of IT don't marry up well - perhaps this is what leaders need to plan for.  Certainly being actively aware of the trends in other schools and how these are beneficial. 

A final note to point out is that IT may drive another big change in high schools as the nz hearld ran an article on Friday 11th Oct called "Exams will soon be online".  NZQA is actively seeking out how to run the external NCEA examinations during the year online.  SOmething all secondary Principals should be actively planning around.

Kind regards,

Justin.

• Justin Harper (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 8:22pm ()

Kia ora Aloma,

I wanted to pick up on you notion here of the rapid evolution of technology.  I hear the descriptor of our students as being "digital natives" and I think that this is predominantly true (although there are plenty of exceptions).  The observation that I want to highlight is that many educators are definitely not "digital natives" and that there is a tremendous gulf between the teacher and the students in regards to their mediums of communication.  [the cheeky comment I can make is just how frustrating I found 'myportfolio' which was state of the art four years ago but well off the standard I'd hope for Laughing].

For me the school leaders need to be active aware of the changes in technology and work hard on providing opportunities (and expectations) for staff to develop their own communication practices.  With IT there is an expectation that we as educators will model the NZC Vision and be examples of Life Long Learners. 

Kind regards Justin.

• Matt Dalton (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2013 7:49pm ()

Ka pai Eric.  I think your points from 1-4 are the key roles for the Principal in taking an active role in strategic planning relative to digital technologies.  The reality is, not many principal's are in a position to lead through expertise in this regard.  It is important that they get a good team and empower them to lead such a programme.  The principal needs to be seen to be highly supportive so that all staff see it as important and not another initiative or fad...

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.