Search

2013: Leadership and strategic planning for e-learning | NAPP Kōrero 14

Started by Karen Spencer 22 Aug 2013 3:36pm () Replies (350)

Planning strategically for the integration of technologies across a school community can be complex, challenging and rewarding by turns. A principal will draw on a wide variety of competencies to balance the needs of learners, staff, the community and infrastructure. Increasingly, many schools in New Zealand are turning to the e-Learning Planning Framework to help inform that process.

In this Leadership story from Enabling e-Learning's media gallery, Tony Zaloum and Mark Quigley, school leaders at Orewa College, talk about how they have juggled a number of complex dimensions as part of their e-learning planning [transcipt on the Enabling e-Learning site]:

This kōrero will unpack some of the attributes and competencies that e-learning leaders seem to have, and explore ways in which the framework can be used as a smart tool in your review and planning processes.

There will be two webinars [the second repeats the first] as part of this kōrero, which you can register for below:     Webinar 1: 11 September   |   Webinar 2: 30 October

Our key question: how can principals take an active role in their school’s strategic planning to use technologies as part of effective teaching and learning?

Replies

• Pam Redpath (View all users posts) 29 Nov 2015 3:17pm ()

I believe that the Principal needs to demonstrate leadership in a range of different ways - either show he / she has some skills to share or work alongside others to learn - I like 'in the space' idea from Julie.  I have developed an ICT committee and we have worked through making the decisions for our LMS - began with Moodle, investigated Google and settled on Microsoft 365.  We are really happy with Microsoft 365 which includes Office and many innovative apps that can be used  They are developing and improving in response to teachers and are ready and willing to come into school and support / teach us.  The team believe it has an expansive functionality which is useful for all curriculum areas in the school.

Our next step is to move into OneNote and OneDrive which is superb for class interactions and storage.  We are developing a range of different teaching strategies to have ICT support learning.

• andreahunter (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2014 10:09pm ()

I agree with you Matt. If the Principal doesn’t have the knowledge or expertise they need to work alongside an expert/s in the school to lead the learning.

The eLPF is the guiding document for all e-learning.  It is an excellent tool for self review.  We have a Blended elearning strategic plan that has been created from the framework.   Staff capacity has grown through the development of eportfolios and class web pages, creating stronger partnership between home and school.  

• Ragne Maxwell (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2014 11:54am ()

The really interesting question, once you've got everybody on the same page, is what is the next page? For us, that is now that we're beyond an 'emerging school' in terms of the e-learning framework, how do we become an 'engaging school'?

We've spent 3 years of ICT PD to upskill staff so all 80+ teachers are confident users of google docs etc and BYOD is fully in our junior school with almost all students having devices. So we have the skills, how do we use them to really change the nature of teaching and learning in our school?

The PD that worked for us was upskilling each other with expertise from within the school, as others have commented. So we are sticking with that model and integrating it with the inquiry process from the National Curriculum. We want all teachers to become leaders of learning in different aspects of our practice, confident to have fellow staff come into our classrooms to observe good practice.

We began by identifying priorities for the school under the umbrella of 'Use of ICT to personalise learning'. The staff selected differentiation, ICT, special needs students, Maori students, brain based learning and critical and creative thinking in the junior school as focus strands. We are spending this term inquiring into current practice and deciding on key areas to intervene in over the next year.

Term 1 next year, we'll break strands down into triads to follow specific inquiries into particular areas of practice, gathering data then planning and beginning to implement changes. Triads will watch each other teaching. Term 2, we'll continue the intervention and observe each other across the strand. Term 3, we'll inquire into the impact of our change and share our results back with the whole staff. We'll then select teachers to observe from other strands, because we were particularly interested in their inquiry and current practice. That will leave us back to a new planning round in Term 4, if we feel the process was successful and something we should repeat.

It's really exciting to be beyond the 'how to' of ICT and into the 'what for', which is, as others have commented, why we're doing all this.

• Amanda Picken (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2014 9:11pm ()

I agree with you Andrew - as a principal you may not necessarily have to have all the knowledge and understanding of the use of technologies – but needs to be equipped to a certain degree to draw on enough understanding to be able to lead the implementation. This way other people can be empowered to support you with your vision. Other things to be considered could be:

• Practicalities and equity issues
    • How does it link into the 5 year plan of the college – what is the sustainability of introducing new technologies?
    • How will it be phased in? (if that’s appropriate)
    • How will the learning be provided to the staff so that teachers pedagogical approaches integrate the use of technologies to enhance Learning
    • How does it fit with other PD and initiatives in the school?
    • Identify the key personnel who can lead the use of technologies?
    • Not doing a scatter gun approach – identifying the most appropriate strategies to upskill as a school whether that be google docs, online portfolios, blogs etc.
    • Modelling technological practice – wherever the principal is at. 
  • Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2014 9:58pm ()

It is essential...  And I can't emphasise that enough...  Essential that the BOT vision,  and principal are on board and want it to succeed.  

• Monica Mercury (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2014 9:48pm ()

When everyone is on the same page and there is a plan and a core group of experienced and technically-savvy people to lead e-learning in your school then it is sure to be a success.  It does help that we have a leader who is really up with the play in regards to anything to do with computers and applications.  We are making efforts to get our heads around what all of this means and embrace all the new things being offered. I totally agree with you Chris, e-learning is definitely a road that has to be followed.

• Nenah Kelemete (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2014 2:23pm ()

This such an amzing area that is always changing and growing. As a principal you will need to be open and willing to give things a go... Be an optimist and prepared to take charge as well as listen and absorb. Be an inspirer as well as be the inspired. Be a great planner and provider of ideas, as well as be the one who looks for ideas. A very huge role but the kids are very worth it!

• Vivita Rabo (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2014 8:15pm ()

I echo the reflections and propositions around utilising techonology effectively so that it facilitates great teaching and learning! I love how twitter is so instant and can be such a professional 'go to' site to collaborate, share and network with other teachers! Being a Teacher of the Deaf, technology really sparks that 'fire', that motivation and enthusiasm with our deaf students, it is first of all visual, appeals to their visual and tactile learning styles, also awakens their creativity senses but again to sustain fantastic innovative ways of learning as such requires great vision, effective leadership and a system whereby everyone has a part to play, power sharing for the success of students!

• Andrew Jones (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2014 3:31pm ()

I agree. With things piling up on top of you it is quite nice to be 'forced' to do some professional reading when a notification comes through. Are you following EDtalks?

With regards to the Principal being active in strategic leadership, I agree with those who have said that it is about giving it a go and creating systems within school admin that 'encourage' staff to branch out in using technology through modelling possible contexts. However it is also an opportunity to empower some staff and provide them with a platform to take their first tentative steps in becoming educational leaders; identifying strengths in others and then creating an environment for these to flourish is a key aspect to being an effective Principal. 

• denis pyatt (View all users posts) 01 Oct 2014 10:37am ()

Thanks for the prompt Julie. I haven't yet made it onto twitter. But your comment about the necessity for principals/leaders to be "at the very least in the space where dynamic leaders are connecting and growing" made me feel guilty! See you on twitter.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.