Search

Chrome Bookmarks

• Public
Started by Allanah King 20 Aug 2013 9:49pm () Replies (7)

Another answered question from the Chromebook group....

This may be a really dumb question but here goes any way.

Scenario- I log in to my Chromebook and save a set of bookmarks. I log out.

My mate comes along and logs in- he sees his own bookmarks???????

I go to a different device and log in- I see the same bookmarks that I saved on the other device. Yes?

What if I accidentally delete a set of bookmarks- it there any way of retrieving them.

I presume that Google Bookmarks synch is turned on?

Any help with this would make us very happy- but I'm afraid the damage is done for a teacher as she upgrades her Tela laptop.

Replies

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 8:29am ()

Hi Allanah,

This link has helped me with this issue...

I can't see where it tells you for how long the settings are saved, but presumably google dashboard will allow you to retrieve the settings if you then log into another browser - whether from a different computer or browser, or not.

Make sense? Undecided

Rob

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 9:16am ()

I'm afraid that for that teacher the damage has been done.

I use XMARKS http://www.xmarks.com/ which has been a life saver.

I have turned off Google Bookmarks Synch and use this. The joy of this is that it saves your added bookmarks automatically across laptops and across browsers so that everything is in the same place.

It was also a life saver when I deleted a whole folder of bookmarks by mistake.

I just went back wards like you can in Google Docs to the revision history and restored them from when they were all there!!

It's a free service but I would happily pay for it!

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 9:29am ()

Nice, that is a GREAT tool ;-)

• Nick Major (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 9:57am ()

Hi Allanah, 

Another issue I have encountered and the reason I use Xmarks exclusively, is that Google synchronised bookmarks that are in folders NOT on the bookmarks bar itself replicate multiple times across different machines until I have 20+ copies of each folder and sometimes the bookmarks are spread across these folders and needs a lot of work to undo!

I would recommend Xmarks to everyone to bypass this issue!

Cheers,

Nick

• Nick Major (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 9:57am ()

Hi Allanah, 

Another issue I have encountered and the reason I use Xmarks exclusively, is that Google synchronised bookmarks that are in folders NOT on the bookmarks bar itself replicate multiple times across different machines until I have 20+ copies of each folder and sometimes the bookmarks are spread across these folders and needs a lot of work to undo!

I would recommend Xmarks to everyone to bypass this issue!

Cheers,

Nick

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 10:40am ()

Yes- I have spent a couple of hours deleting multiple folders until I realised what was actually making them.

A real nuisance.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.