Search

Procurement

• Public
Started by Fraser 20 Aug 2013 2:17pm () Replies (7)

Hi All,

We are just investigating the purchase of devices. So far I have had recommendations to puchase from Norrcom or Cyclone as Google approved suppliers. From what I can gather, this is for best compatibility with school networks and the management console. Have also been advised to pay the $30 per device for the management console.

I also wondered if anyone had experience of using AOG (all of government contracts) for purchasing through MOE endorsed suppliers. I had heard that this can mean a cheaper purchase price? Any experience or clarification on these points appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 9:51pm ()

I have posted your question into the Google group to see if they have an answer for us.

/groups/profile/69872/google-apps-for-education

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 10:13pm ()

OOhh- that got a quick reply.... from Tim Gander

Hi Allanah - I used Norcom and they have been brilliant from the start of the process and are still giving support now through email and phone calls.  The management console is essential if you are running more than a small number - it allows real customisation of the devices for different groups/classes - as well as control over network settings etc.  I'm afraid I can't help you with the AOG part as I'm not in charge of the funding at our school - if I was we'd have hundreds of them!!  Better join the chromebook group - thanks!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 7:38am ()

Really impressed with my first experience of using a Chromebook in a school recently, light, portable, simple to use. Lead me to think about purchasing one for my son to replace his iPad mini as a BYOD device.

So if I was looking to buy a single device for my son to use as a BYOD device for year 9 next year, how much would one cost me, would I need to buy anything apartfrom the device, what will this cost me and is it even possible to buy single devices as a parent yet?

Tim - what level are your students and how are they using the devices in class?

: ) 

• Hazel Smith (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 7:38am ()

Hi

We recently purchased 32 chromebooks from Fronde, the other registered reseller in NZ.

I would recommend getting from a registered reseller, and purchasing the license. Really easy to manage the machines on the Chrome OS once you are familiar with the Google Apps admin console. Also we had some issues with insufficient IP addresses and the support i received from Google enterprise from all over the world was excellent.

Don't know about AOG..sorry.

• Dave Winter (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 10:23am ()

Have added a bookmark to a google doc to collect info about what is happening in this space. Have added suppliers I know about. My thinking is that the management console will only be offered by authorised resellers. I may be wrong on this. We see this console as very important for google apps schools but maybe not so important for small stand alone initiatives. link to doc 

• Fraser Campbell (View all users posts) 11 Feb 2014 9:34am ()

Thanks all, used Norcom and the support has been great.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.