Search

State of Pasifika education - checking the pulse

• Public
Started by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu 20 Aug 2013 11:45am () Replies (3)

Read the following article from the recent NZEI Pasifika Fono

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/ED1308/S00093/pasifika-educators-criticise-government-direction.htm

What are your thoughts?  Is this the case in your schools?

Replies

• Kimkaitao (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2013 6:21am ()

I attended this fono and was grateful to learn so much. Being a Maori educator, and a newby to developing PI education in my school, I appreciated viewing the content of presentations through a PI lense. I was surprised to note the MoE representative who presented on the PEP did not know about this VLN. She was lovely and mentioned she was looking for pathways to develop promoting the work in schools, so I suggested accessing the Learning And Change Networks (LCNs). The keynote speakers data personally reiterated a similar journey for Maori, and sadly the facts led me to believe Maori were actually better off. I am determined to ensure our system and plan does not forget the significance of identity, culture, language and success for students. A quote from Dr Mason Durie, mentioned by Efeso Collins, summed it all up for me...if after 12 years a student has no sense of identity, language, culture or success, then the system has clearly failed them. I will be developing my school PEP with this at the forefront of my thinking.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.