Search

Encouraging Blog Engagement

Started by Anne Kenneally  20 Aug 2013 11:35am () Replies (9)

A blog without interaction is like a day without sunshine!

I really do believe this to be a true statement.  Increasingly I am finding classes, teachers and learners frustrated with a lack of interaction on their blogs.  I have started a google presentation and added a few of my ideas.  I have shared it with the Twitisphere and here hoping you will use it, add to it, share it and together we can grow a resource we can all benefit from! 

Encouraging Blog Engagement

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 11:41am ()

What a fantastic idea Anne, just yesterday I set up new blogs with 3 teachers and their enthusiasm to get started blogging with their classes was awesome to see!

We did talk breifly about how to keep the momentum going and encourage comments so I will add my ideas to this resource and share it with them.

Thanks! : ) 

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 2:48pm ()

Like a gift to my inbox this article just arrived : ) 

Thought it certainly added value to the discussion and may be a link worth following for those of you keen to add more traffic to your blog.

Teach Quality Commenting Skills from Edublogs Teacher Challenges.

• Anne Kenneally  (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 12:27pm ()

Teehee, Isn't it funny how we are aware of something, we notice other things that MAGICally fit!  I think Eric Frangenheim calls it being RAS alerted!  

Thanks so much for sharing that!  The resource is growing like topsy!  What a wonderful collaboration!  I absolutely LOVE your idea of promoting the blog with business cards!  I bet that will be well used!

Teaching quality commenting skills is essential and I have had the privilege of working in classes this week and last and we created a cool little graphic to help us remember when commenting!

5 'handy' commenting steps.... 

5 'handy' steps to commenting, then check your spelling and punctuation before you close your hand to post!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 12:33pm ()

That is fantastic and I will certainly be sharing that clever idea when I next teach commenting to a class of bloggers : )

Thanks Anne!

• Anne Kenneally  (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 1:27pm ()

Thanks Catriona, It is just a modification and simplification of the wonderful work by Linda Yollis who is the commenting guru!  I have found when working with juniors (and seniors) the five steps works and we get more than 'nice work'....

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2015 4:54pm ()

It's amazing the GOLD you find when searching through the VLN.

I think most of us bloggers are usually looking for further ways to increase engagement on our blogs and especially get the conversation going.

Thanks for sharing this a couple of years ago now, Anne. Still very relevant!

I push out my blog posts mostly on Twitter and on a Facebook page I manage.

On Twitter, using the #edblogNZ hashtag along with #edchatNZ can help with increasing engagement. #edblogNZ also has a blog site (http://edblognz.blogspot.co.nz/) which shares the latest posts people have shared through #edblogNZ on Twitter. Blogs are manually added at this stage, but it's a great place to go if you are looking for more NZ teacher blogs to follow too!

• Becksnewton (View all users posts) 22 Oct 2015 1:04pm ()

I know this is an older discussion, but as Nathaniel said it is still relevant and I just wanted to make sure people were aware of the #comment4kids hashtag on twitter!  A great way to get a wider audience to comment on blogs too!  

• Valay Raman (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2015 10:44am ()

Like everything in life I believe blogs are not for all students. You could have a class blog  with many students contribution, a group blog or a self motivated student blog. Blogs need to be a voluntary activity as it requires much thought and time that goes beyond the school environment.

This can then be used by other students as:

• reading material
    • Something to ponder on
    • Discussions ,etc.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.