Search

Engaging with our Pasifika parents, families and communities

Started by Togi Lemanu 19 Aug 2013 10:11pm () Replies (9)

What are schools doing to build relationships and engage with our Pasifika parents?  There are a lot of ideas and strategies that schools are using to work with our Pasifika parents. It will be good if we could all share our ideas and stories to support our colleagues.

Are schools being culturally responsive when connecting our communities?  If so, in what ways. 

Look forward to your responses.  Faafetai lava

Replies

• KaineHokianga (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2013 4:43pm ()

I have a committee leadership role with regards to Pasifika at an intermediate school with a low Pasifika population and the problem of parental and community connection is one at the foremost of our thoughts. I have enjoyed reading the thoughts and opinions of the contributors above because of the intent of the conversation: involving Pasifika communities in our schools to help support our Pasifika learners.

Some of the ideas that have floated around in conversations with other colleagues at my school have included making use of skill sets within the Pasifika communities and bringing them into school, like: celebrating Pasifika foods and celebrating Pasifika arts. The intention being to establish some initial meet and greet opportunties and begin to breakdown the 'unknowns' that may be considered as 'blockers' for Pasifika parents to come into the school environment. 

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or opinions about if these ideas have worth and how they may be put into action.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Shifting the minds of our Pasifika parents

Shifting the minds of our Pasifika parents

We look forward to hearing from you about any burning questions that you have so we can work together in order to raise the achievement of our Pasifika learners