Search

Introducing...the Central South community online

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 19 Aug 2013 9:31pm () Replies (24)

Welcome to the Leading Effective e-Learning group for the Central South region.

It is envisioned that this group will become a central hub for a community of like-minded educators - focused on growing e-learning leadership, to impact change for our priority learners.

Here, we can extend face-to-face events and provide a central space to sustain connections;

• to grow e-leadership in online communities
  • to connect schools and regions to the national Enabling eLearning hub
  • to engage schools in the VLN and other online professional learning communities

Megaphone

You might like to take a few moments to introduce yourself,
tell us where you're from, share a photo or your mihi and your role as an e-leader. This is a great way to establish and connect a community online, so we'd love to hear from you. 

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2013 10:07pm ()

Kia ora again, here's a little bit about me...

• Vanessa (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2013 12:58pm ()

Kia ora, 

I'm Vanessa Hendry from Windley School in Porirua East. Like Gaylene we are currently involved in the BeL cluster development which has been a great way to widen the knowledge base for our learning. We have a cluster group on VLN which is a valuable resource to have and I am looking forward to learning lots through the discussions in this group.

Our school has used the eLPF to position itself and identify priority areas of development. Our focus has been on strategic planning and leadership and professional knowledge.

Key learning opportunities for me so far this year have been the better use of the enabling e-learning website and VLN to develop my own knowledge & understanding and guide me in leading the school development. We are fortunate to have the assistance of a BeL facilitator and this provides invaluable guidance and support as we lead the staff into new territory. While some people embrace the use of e-learning tools others are less confident so we needed to ensure the professional learning is differentiated just like we do in our classroomsLaughing

I look forward to learning and sharing ideas within this group.

• Amanda OConnell (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 6:59pm ()

Hi Vanessa

Lovely to see you in this space. I'm sure we are going to learn lots off all the other participants to build and expand our own knowledge and to stretch the boundariesSmile

• Lyn Ross (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 7:45am ()

Hello everyone,  a little background information about me: I am an experienced teacher who enjoys the opportunities and excitement of the Internet and eLearning.  From 2002 to 2012 I worked as an ICT and Learning Facilitator, with 5 ICT PD Clusters (Wellington, Palmerston North, Whakatane and 2 in Wanganui).  Now I am settled in Palmerston North and enjoy working for the Blended eLearning Central South Team.  How exciting to have our own VLN eLearning Leaders' space - I look forward to extending my professional learning network and having lots of new eLearning adventures! 

• Lb (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2013 8:09am ()

ok here goes my first post. 

Hello.  I am a year 6 teacher at Dannevirke South School.  I was involved with an ICT PD cluster at Matakana school and I have been hooked on e learning ever since.  I am the leader of ICT at my school and look forward to working closely with Lyn Ross.  

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2013 11:35am ()

Welcome to the wonderful world of posting online Laura- lovely to 'meet' you!

• Lyn Ross (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2013 12:09pm ()

Hi there Laura.  Good on you for posting on here so fast! There are lots of exciting things coming up for eLeaders- so keep a look out.  I'll catch up with you again soon.

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 5:53pm ()

Kia ora Laura. GREAT to see you in here. Welcome aboard - and all! Looking fwd to meeting you. Meanwhile...chat away to us and we will respond :-)  Cheers

• Nick Leney (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 3:53pm ()

Hi All,

Im Nick Leney - I work at Nga Tawa Diocesan School with the official title of Lead Teach eLearning. This group was recommended to me by Mike Perry - Mike's tips are usually pretty goodLaughing so I thought I would give it a go. Looking forward to following the group and contributing where and when I can

cheers Nick

• Mike Perry (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 4:04pm ()

Hi Nick. Welcome aboard. I know you have a lot to offer this group, but I hope it also enables you to see what other people are up to, and engage in some effective networking. I hope we can entice your school's other 'e-leaders' into this space too. Regards to all. 

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 5:52pm ()

Kia ora Nick - welcome aboard! WOW! Mike's tips are pretty good you say? You could be right there! :-)  Do enjoy the space! Looking fwd to catching up with you at some stage. Meanwhile, enjoy this online space to connect with everyone. Cheers

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2013 2:08pm ()

Kia ora everyone.  I'm Sandy Lediard.  I am a year 7 and 8 teacher at Rongotea School.  This year we have digitised our senior class. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from what others are doing.  

I whanau mai ahau i Tamaki-makau-rau, i tipu ake ahau i Whangarei.  No tāwāhi ōku tūpuna, i te taha o tōku pāpā nō Ingarangi, i te taha o tōku māmā nō Wales.  Kei Tangimoana ahau e noho ana - ko tērā te wāhi e ruaki ana te awa o Rangitīkei ki te moana.  Ka nui te mihi ki a koutou katoa.  Tēnā koutou, tēnā tātou katoa. 

• Amanda OConnell (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2013 7:02pm ()

Hi Sandy

Welcome! It was great being at your school today and having Warren alongside to iron out a few of the infrastructure creases Wink

• Andrew de Wit (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 6:02pm ()

Kia ora, my name is Andrew de Wit, teaching DP @ Mangaroa School a small semi rural school just out of Upper Hutt. We have embarked on BYOD in our Senior School this year and it is changing everything we do! Very exciting times. Looking forward to developing more connections and learning from others wisdom in this space. 

• Pat Hargreaves (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2013 3:02pm ()

Greetings all,

I hope this group does expand and that we are all keen to contribute, discuss points of difference, play devils advocate and such things to cause that "creative tension" that great ideas come from.

As an introduction, I am currently AP at Ruapehu College in Ohakune. Not particularly technologically gifted, but not a complete slug. I guess I could be termed a 'user' of technology rather than passionate or interested in the flash gadegets and apps.

I am interested in the learning competencies behind using technology and personalising learning. My recent Masters Thesis (2010) was about personalising learning and the future effects with regard to classroom practice, so pretty keen to continue these types of discussions.

have a great day

• Vicki Hagenaars (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2013 10:58am ()

Hi everyone.  My name is Vicki Hagenaars and I am ICT Lead Teacher for Wanganui Intermediate School.

My initial elearning work was done at Massey Uni way back in the 80s!  I moved on to elearning fully with involvement as ICT Lead Teacher in the initial Cluster Lyn Ross worked with in Wanganui.  I have had time working in the ICT suite at Wanganui Intermediate School before being offered the initially named Digital Class in 2010.  This led to attendance at Ulearn since 2009, presenting last year and preparing to again this year.  My Principal handed me a baby of an idea and I have pretty much kidnapped and developed it!  We are now the elearning classes - more focus on the pedagogy than the technology.

I am also an active member of the VPLD programme run by CORE and of our local education network - Greater Wanganui Education Network (GWEN). 

It has been great to have this Term off on sabbatical, with an elearning focus culminating in my blog aimed at Intermediate level practitioners which is still growing and developing - http://elearning-intermediate-schools-nz.blogspot.co.nz/

I am interested in continuing to develop the great pedagogy that goes hand in hand with the awesome tools we now have available. I look forward to gaining and sharing ideas on this platform with teachers not so far removed from myself by distance.

• Lyn Ross (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2013 2:20pm ()

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the group.  I really enjoyed the Castlecliff Cluster years - they were really exciting - especially with teachers getting laptops for the first time (how long ago that seems!) I'm looking forward to catching up with you again.

• Gaylene (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2013 11:51am ()

Hi. I am Gaylene- Principal of a small low decile school. We are located in Porirua East where we look out onto bush. We claim that we are an "Oasis amongst the bush" which matches our visiona nd values related to learning and environment. We are a green gold enviro school, and a 3rd time around Gold Heart Beat Award school.

I hail from Taranaki (Waitara) but call Wellington home as i have lived here since getting married 34 years ago. I have 3 adult children (2 still seem quite comfortable at home!), a loving husband, and 3 cats! While living in Aotea, Porirua, we also spend some time at our beach house in Otaki as a way of relaxing from stressful jobs.

We are currently very actively involved in blended e-learning PLD and my great wish is to embed 21st learning and teaching within the confines of an old 2-storey building that cannot be remodelled.

I have a great team that I work with here at school who are all continuous learners, but , as always, are in different places on the continuum of integrating technology seamlessly into their practices.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2013 3:55pm ()

imageWelcome everyone Smile  It's been very rewarding reading where everyone is from and exciting to know that we can all help grow our own e-learning capability and leadership skills - together.

It is envisioned, as we progress, we'll also be able to capture where our strengths, passions, needs and trends lie too - so we can help each other, as we connect both f2f and online.

Looking forward to what the future brings....

Nā tō rourou, nā taku rourou ka ora ai te iwi (With your food basket and my food basket the people will thrive).

Image sourced from Creative Commons

Join this group to contribute to discussions.