Search

Making the best use of the technology you have in the classroom (Linda Ojala)

How do you plan to use the technology you have available to meet the variable needs of the students in your class?

In this short video Linda reflects on her own management of the technology and her expectations of what should and could be different. The video is part of Linda final reflection at the end of her UDL blogging week. 

You can view the video with it's interactive transcript on YouTube.

The transcript

So another question I had when I started this week was about the effective use of technology in the classroom.

And I have technology in the class, and they use technology on a daily basis and it's in my programme lots and I can see the engagement and the conversations they have around it.

But just I'm really questioning for myself how effectively am I using it to enhance their learning or to meet their learning goals so it's more targeted to student need rather than just this wide spread of using it? Or using it because that's a cool way of doing something?

And I think that in a sense that's fine because it is fun. But also, well actually, it's going to be a key way for that child to express their thinking if they use this certain app. 

Or rather than everyone accessing this app for reading or whatever, well actually everyone can use it but actually it's really going to benefit this group of children here and those are the children that I'm going to target to use it.

So yeah, just targeted technology for specific student needs.

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 10:49am ()

Thanks for sharing these final thoughts, Linda:) I think you hit the nail on the head when you focus on the way tech is targetted at need, rather than used because it's 'there'. Your example of pinpointing reading needs by particular choices of an app (or not - whatever) is the difference being using technology for the sake of it and using it knowingly, appropriately and effectively.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us all and for creating a resource that others can come back to for further consideration and reflection:)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.