Search

Are schools having parents sign permission specifically for Google apps?

• Public
Started by Dave Winter 14 Aug 2013 11:03am () Replies (9)

Have been asked as to wether we have to have parent give express permission for their children aged under 13 to use google apps. Does any one know? What are other schools doing?

Replies

• Hazel Smith (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 7:32am ()

We have had google apps accounts for all our kids for over a year now.....we have a media and internet contract...which both parents and kids sign, but have not specifically got them to sign for google apps.

Interesting question, will be keen to hear what others think

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2013 2:30pm ()

Martin Hughes from TTS who has deployed GAFE over 50 schools says the school and BOT take on that responsibility, so there is no need for parental permission of kids using the school domain Google account.  Any personal account of course a child under 13 does need permission.

Helen

• Andrew de Wit (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2013 3:59pm ()

We have a BYOD permission and AUP that covers it, making sure parents are aware of it. Of interest to me is how do schools create email addresses/ accounts? do they use student names or alias's.

Andrew

Mangaroa School

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2014 10:05pm ()

We use the student's first name and then the last four numbers of their school enrollment number to make a unique account name.

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2013 12:19pm ()

Last weekend I was reading GAFE material from google, which said schools using GAFE take the responsibility of complying with COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act). It referred to obtaining parental consent for users under 13yrs.

If you already have a parental consent form for the internet, you're probably covered.

If you're not sure maybe the safest option is to just add an extra line to the existing consent form that way the school is convered either way.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2013 1:17pm ()

What if the parent then says no- my child is not allowed to use the internet or no- my child is not allowed to use Google Apps.

You would have to comply.

I think that using the web for learning is just the way we do things- do we ask consent if children are allowed to use a coloured marker.

I thnk an internet use agreement is a useful document that can be built up over time through leading and learning with parents and children about ways to keep safe on line but to just ask yes you can or no you can't use the web could be a bit fraught!

Just stirring the pot!

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2013 9:37am ()

Interesting 'stirring', Allanah, just had a similar discussion with a group of teachers recently:

If we are going GAFE and have students use this (compulsory), where does this leave students whose parents do not agree, especially in a small community with few or no other schooling choices? We give parents the option to opt in or out of a few activities at school (puberty education, bible studies?). Can GAFE be optional?

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2013 9:50am ()

I think that we need to say 'This is the way we do things'. We are going to use the internet, we are going to use GAFE. We will do our utmost to keep your children safe and we will teach your children to be cyber-smart but if you don't like it then you might like to home school your child or find alternatives that suit you!

Pot well stirred now!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.