Search

Locking the app store and settings

• Public
Started by Leigh Hynes 14 Aug 2013 9:43am () Replies (10)

Can we isolate the app store and settings from students in any way.  We know we can restrict the app that the students are working on but would really like to stop students accessing the app store and settings more than anything.

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 11:11pm ()

Yes indeed. I tell everyone to put the year as their pass code. Have you tried 2012 or 2013? How long since he backed up? Tell him to get the important stuff off the iPad before he restores it.

• Andy Parker (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 2:30pm ()

if you're worried about iPads having passcodes changed or forgetten so that you can't get back into them, consider enrolling them into one of the Mobile Device Management solutions. (Meraki, Casper, Airwatch etc).

These give the option to remotely clear the passcode on the device.

Even if this is the only thing you use an MDM for it can be a life/time-saver.

• Fiona Young (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 2:24pm ()

So Allanah - My colleague Matthew Isles is having difficulties with the restiction code for one of our iPads. If we cannot find it will we have to completely reset the iPad

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 12:09pm ()

Thank you everyone, problem solved all is well!!  VLN is awesome!

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 11:21am ()

Totally agree with Allanah

A pin is really useful with more and more 'free' apps adding buttons for in-app purchases and usually for things you do not want like stickers and stuff.

Would like to add some advice

Remember what the access pin is!!

I tend to suggest to schools they use the last 4 digits of the school phone number - it doesn't change and is not something kids know off the top of their heads.

Did we recommend 'Remember ....'

8-}

Innes

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 11:07am ()

Some schools use the MoE number....

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 10:44am ()

I mark my folder 'boring' in the hope that the kids think that the folder is too dark and boring to bother looking at when there are so many more more interesting things to do. I have heard of someone putting the 'boring' folder on the eleventh screen to make it even more hard to find.

Kids are clever though.

Biggest tip ever- REMEMBER WHAT THE ACCESS PIN IS. 

REMEMBER WHAT THE ACCESS PIN IS. 

Cos it is four numbers long which makes a lot of combinations to gues it right and you only get a few guesses at it before it makes you take a rest between attempts and you may end up wanting to walk away saying unkind words under your breath!

Spoken from experience. So now I tell everyone to make the restriction pin the year number in which the iPad was purchased so at least I have some clue as to what the pin might be when they ring me and ask me what their pin was.

I had one cherub put a pin on my iPod Touch for me- I didn't know what child did it to ask what the number was as I had been in three classes that day. 

I had to wipe the iPod Touch and restore it from back up to get it accessible again!!!!!!

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 9:53am ()

Yes you can hide the App store app.... you need to have restrictions turned on...(Settings app> General>Restrictions) turning "Installing Apps" off will make the App store app disappear.

Just remember if you manually install apps on the ipad you'll have to go back and enable installing.. also you won't get to see when new updates are available - ie the red counter won't appear on the App icon, as the app itself is hidden.

If you have a policy of updating apps - then shouldn't be a problem.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 9:51am ()

In settings - general - restricitions - you can enter a pin code and turn off the deleting apps, installing apps, access to itunes, ibookstore and in app purchases.

Also I store the settings and app store buttons in a folder marked teacher only. Still have to have rules around it but never had trouble with my students accessing the folder.

Hope this helps ; )

Join this group to contribute to discussions.