Search

Educreations / ShowMe / Explain Everything

• Public
Started by Catriona Pene 13 Aug 2013 1:40pm () Replies (30)

Kia ora all you whiteboard app experts out there, I am looking for some help for a school around finding the best whiteboard app to best suit their needs.

1. It needs to embed into KnowledgeNet so needs an embed code or .flv files only accepted.

2. It needs to be able to be stored in the cloud or exported to the camera roll or somewhere off the app as the iPads are getting awfully full of video clips (think 30 children x 5 each)

3. It needs to allow you to record writing, talking and text in real time.

Any suggestions welcomed on how you sharing the movies created in these apps in your room - especially if you are using KnowledgeNet.

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 9:55pm ()

Thanks Kath and Allanah,

Great suggestions both of them, I can see my chart may need expanding! Here is the link to the doc  - happy to have your input : )  All this information helps us to choose the best app for the task.

Will repost once it is updated.

Any more apps or examples of use?

• Enchante (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2013 10:14pm ()

I've tried Educreations and Showme. I find both have limitations. 

i.e. can't store files in folders, can't save unless in video format, can't edit, can't upload to google drive. Showme can't upload to dropbox

So have decided to pay for Explain Everything.

It still can't store files in folders/rearrange but it solve the other issues I have up there. Essentially I can replace all my modelling books with one ipad. 

Also being a paid app the suggestions you make to the company are more likely to have something done about it

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 6:30am ()

Enchante

As of a recent update you can make folders in your project area - tap and hold then drag icon on top of another (very iPadish) and voila a folder. Very useful.

A mega app.

• Enchante (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 10:05am ()

A great. Thanks for that. Explain Everything is THE perfect screencasting app then. Well worth it with the VPP program

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 11:28am ()

Hi again Innes,

Which app can you now make folders in? I wanted to do this yesterday when working with a teacher using showme : ) 

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 5:45pm ()

Hi Catriona - should have been clearer. You are now able to make folders in Explain Everything. Just hold, drag and drop in the Project space. Such a powerful tool - spent 3 hours workshopping it with teachers earlier in the week - there are magic movies everywhere and some brilliant instructional ideas bursting out.

Story telling, screen recording, flipping, teacher support the lot!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 6:55am ()

Thanks for the clarification Innes, that is a great feature to organise large numbers of videos. Will add that feature to my chart : )

Keep the comments coming people.

• GConlon (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 9:35am ()

I have been exploring playback, which I find more versatile than show me, trial version is free, it limits you to three pages and one minute's recording. The full version is $4.19

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 10:33am ()

Here's one from left field...

Touchcast - currently free..  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touchcast/id603258418?mt=8

Touchcast is a different kind of video app... you can add what they term "vapps" inside the video, which are essentially small apps, which are live and clickable inside the video. You can add vapps such as ..webpages, photos, question, googlemaps, poll, twitter feed, flickr...

When you click on a webpage vapp in the video, you can browse the webpage... and the webpage is live ie upto date.

Touchcast also has a teleprompter feature, greenscreen, whiteboard and titles.

There are various themes you can choose from eg, News, sports how to's etc which have layouts and titles, and tickers already to go.

This has lots of potential for lots of activities....

Videos are upload to your Touchcast account where they can be public or private.

To view a touchcast on a computer you must use either Safari or Chrome.. doesn't work with any other browser. works natively on the ipad.

Watch the demo... http://www.touchcast.com/

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 4:20pm ()

Thanks KathC - another great resource to add to our bank. This really demonstrates how teachers and students need to be clear on what they want to achieve when choosing an app, it is so easy to get distracted by all the bells and whistes and miss the one feature you really need. 

: )

• Enchante (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 3:51pm ()

I was wondering..I can't seem to find it, if Explain Everything can sync to all of my other ipads. This is one great feature of Show Me and Educreations.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 6:34pm ()

Enchante

I am guessing that you mean you can click on a link and it will take you to the completed project which can be viewed on other iPads. In Explain everything you can export - either as an editable Project (VERY powerful) or as a Movie or PDF to Dropbox, Google Drive, Web Dav + others, whatever is your flavour and then you can pick up on your other iPads. Teachers can preprepare stuff and store it on any (or all 8-) of these for use across the class.

Hope this helps

Join this group to contribute to discussions.