Search

FORUM: How are you using technologies to both report to parents and encourage them to engage with their students learning?

The advent of the school interviews site has allowed for parents to take control of setting their own interview times and has freed up teachers and admin staff to get on with other tasks. It is an efficient, time saving tool that puts the control firmly back into the hands of the parents and allows teachers to easily see who is attending and follow up with those who are missing.

What other tools are teachers and schools using to streamline their reporting processes?

Are you using google docs or learning management systems to share information instead of a traditional paper report?

Do your students share their progress through blogs or other online sites?

Mission Heights School reports online to parents using moodles on open source software (Linux and OpenOffice). More on TKI.

Waiuku Primary SchoolWillowbank School, and many others, are using facebook and twitter to engage with their parent community.

Rachel Boyd: Building community relationships with social media from EDtalks on Vimeo.

How are you using technologies to report to parents and to encourage them to engage with their students learning?

Share your ideas and experiences with us in this FORUM.

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2015 12:07pm ()

Hi, My search for SMS/Text services led me here...

I really like the idea of using Remind but alas it is not available outside of the US (still).

Does anyone else have a SMS service they use? Want it more for Emergency notification system. What are other schools using to communicate with parents in an emergency situation? Facebook/Twitter etc are great - but what if you need to communicate with every parent? Have been playing around with creating an App, but even then parents can turn notifications off (and they need to download it...).

Would be a great service for one of the big Telcos to provide (for free) to schools!

Steve

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.