Search

Supporting Imaging in Maths with year 3s (Linda Ojala)

• Public
Started by linda Ojala 07 Aug 2013 3:52pm () Replies (8)

Moving students from concrete to imaging in maths is part of the Math Curriculum.  Small Group maths

I have a group of students who are able to solve problems if they have visual supports e.g. 100 boards and number lines.

I want to support their development of number knowledge because having this recall is helpful when they are solving more complex problems.

Looking at my teaching through a UDL lens

If I look at what I am already doing through a UDL lens it looks like this:

• Engagement

• Small group target lessons

• Clear learning goals

• Use of Ipads and laptops

• Multiple representations - what alternatives I am offering the students e.g a mix of text, pictures, audio, talking,

• I am currently providing the students with hands on equipment and visuals

• Video via Study Ladder and Teacher Tools

• Use of whiteboards, magnetic numbers, objects

I am connecting to their prior knowledge by making links to what we have already learnt and revisiting learning examples.

• Supporting Action and Expression

• Follow up activities are based on what has been modelled in the small group lesson

• Follow up practice and instructions are  visually based with very few words

• Examples of the process and thinking is recorded in learning books or on charts for students to refer when completing independent work

As I reflect on what I am doing, I can already see that I could:

• Offer different ways of representation when working in small group e.g. having a whole range of equipment available for students to show their thinking. Not just a choice between dinosaurs and coloured sticks but between whiteboards, pens, Ipads and paper.

Two questions:

• What would you do?
  • Can the technology I have available contribute to a solution?

Replies

• Ray Burkhill (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 10:59am ()

Hi Linda...following your blog with interest having also just started to dip my toes in the UDL waters.

I like the approach you've taken here...viewing your current practice through a UDL lens. Both affirming and helpful in identifying areas for development.

Ray 

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 11:11am ()

Hi Linda, 

I am really enjoying your blog and these threads are becoming great discussion starters. Looking at something that you (and many other teachers) are currently doing in the classroom is such a practical way of unpacking the UDL Framework in a NZ context. 

It would be awesome to have some video examples to show students emersed in such a rich environment. Videos could help in several ways -

Videoing Maths Lesson

1. To reflect on the options that are made available, how they may enhance or create barriers to learning for individuals

2. For students to reflect on their learning and see their progress (and share with parents)

3. To share tuakana-teina style the learning from one group of students to the next 

4. To share your practice with others

Image Source: http://blog.ipevo.com/ 

I have always found video such a powerful tool for challenging my thinking.  As a busy classroom teacher things that you might miss in the moment, you can rewind and make sense of what is really happening under that tip of the iceberg.

• linda Ojala (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 11:29am ()

Thanks Roxy

I agree video examples can be so powerful. I really like the ideas of taking video and not only using them for my own reflections but so that my students can share learning with each other and we can talk about learning.

It makes me think about having more videos for the parents to access so they have a greater connection to what is happening and ways in which concpets are taught. Good follow up for home.

• Julie Roberts (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2013 10:31pm ()

Kia ora Linda

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog across the week and you have shared lots of insightful things to think about around ways to look actively through the UDL principles. Got me thinking for sure...

Imaging and technology... have you heard of quick images?  I have seen how useful this strategy has been support students develop visusalisation skills of dot images. Also supports shifting their thinking from counting to using facts they know to solve problems... therefore moving students into additive thinking. Groupings, basic facts... and what other concepts do they support the development of?

Here are a couple of examples to look at...

Powerpoint example - look at Kindergarten through to Grade 4.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CGcQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Felementarymath.cmswiki.wikispaces.net%2Ffile%2Fview%2FQUICKIMAGES1.ppt&ei=AmIHUqigMqqMiQeOr4GwDg&usg=AFQjCNFBQ0UYqLub6T6F2ahUuozxtS8Whg&sig2=4_morTGsCo16VVxkyg37Cg

Class example - http://vimeo.com/35920433

What other ways can be developed using technology? What creative ideas are out there?

Ipad app - https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/quick-images/id560877283?mt=8

Questions... what are some effective questions you can ask to draw out what the students see? And how they worked out... how may dots or squares there were? How does this information support the learner and yourself in learning converations around where to next?

Love to hear your thoughts...

Julie

PS Google 'quick images' 'subitizing' 'quick image dots' and see what pops up!

• linda Ojala (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2013 9:28pm ()

Thanks Julie,

Can't wait to have a look at some of your suggestions. 

Currently I'm thinking around the 'time basic facts' in our programmes, considering this alongside UDL, that all learners hold, work through and recall information in different ways.  I know its important for quick recall but the way we test can be such a barrier. Any thoughts? Linda

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 12 Aug 2013 10:13pm ()

Here's the video Julie mentions above

Quick Images from Tom Stezzi on Vimeo.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2013 1:02pm ()

I've really enjoyed reading through your contributions online Linda and wanted to say thank you for being so visible with your thinking, your professional reflections and for inviting us to do the same.

Enabling e-Learning is currently running a forum on, Professional learning in the digital age | Opportunities and challenges. I hope you don't mind that I've referenced you in particular? It seemed so appropriate to link to your examples in this thread. Smile

Join this group to contribute to discussions.