Search

iPad app to replace black teacher folder (primary school)?

• Public
Started by Monika Kern 07 Aug 2013 12:45pm () Replies (31)

Hello all,

one of my teachers would like to replace her black planning folder with an iPad app. She is looking for something that has the year view and individual days and lets her edit both - e.g. mark weeks of the term on the year view ("book week" or "camp" etc.) and put her daily planning into the day view. I hope this makes sense! She has looked around and not found anything suitable yet - any primary teacher out there who has sucessfully replaced their black folder? My teacher is happy to pay for the app but it's better to know beforehand if its worth it.

Many thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 5:00pm ()

I was going to suggest a google spreadsheet but Claire bet me to it - we taught together and this was superb. The advantage is you can set up a template, then duplicate it and all that - but also you can integrate your ongoing assessment/reporting/contacts into that spreadsheet so a lot of your classroom admin is in one place. 

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 9:35am ()

Yep I've got examples of this I can share with you - drop me an email robcnz@gmail.com

I may make a blog post about this issue so it is a tutorial for others to use.

Rob

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 5:14pm ()

Here's the slightly different version I was talking about - it is empty ready to use and has instructions on the first tab which you can delete once you've read them:

Classroom Planning Example - blank with instructions.

To copy it - simply go to File > make a copy, then rename it as you like.

There are heaps of cool things you can do with spreadsheets to make life easier - I particularly like conditional formating, which is when you put a certain value into a cell (e.g. a reading level) and the cell changes colour automatically.

If you have questions you can comment on this document and I will endeavour to answer/help. I'd be particularly interested in making the instructions more clear for people.

Anyone who emailed me directly will be shared the document directly. I will see if I can do a tutorial next week, time pending.

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 6:22pm ()

This looks really good

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 17 Aug 2013 10:15am ()

Hi all,

I haven't made it to creating a tutorial for those who wanted one this week. I'm going offline for a couple of weeks and promise to make something for those who wanted it when I return, which will be late Sept/early Oct.

Rob

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 11:50am ()

Here you go Leanne -  this shows only the LTP and weekly formats - the tabs at the bottom are for the other parts, plus you can make news ones to suit yourself.

Best way is to actually click the link below to the spreadsheet here though and play with it....

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 12:32pm ()

The first instruction in the instruction tab on this template referred to a 'template' which has been corrected to:

In your browser window, go to File>Make a copy...

...which is the first thing to do to start using/playing with the template Cool

Join this group to contribute to discussions.