Search

iPad app to replace black teacher folder (primary school)?

• Public
Started by Monika Kern 07 Aug 2013 12:45pm () Replies (31)

Hello all,

one of my teachers would like to replace her black planning folder with an iPad app. She is looking for something that has the year view and individual days and lets her edit both - e.g. mark weeks of the term on the year view ("book week" or "camp" etc.) and put her daily planning into the day view. I hope this makes sense! She has looked around and not found anything suitable yet - any primary teacher out there who has sucessfully replaced their black folder? My teacher is happy to pay for the app but it's better to know beforehand if its worth it.

Many thanks in advance!

Replies

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 3:53pm ()

I am right there with you, I have been looking as well and haven't found anything that suits the NZ needs, is all overseas based.  I ended up doing my weekly planning in evernote as can add and comment on the ipad as I teach but had to make my own templates in evernote on the PC and then sync it across.

I will be keeping a close eye to see if anyone has anything useful, great idea.

• Jo Fiss (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 4:08pm ()

Hi there, we are using Planner Plus at our high school but it is only good for dates etc by week month and year and if you buy the full version you can week view etc BUT there is no where to put day to day lesson stuff

• Claire Howison (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 4:12pm ()

I do all I need to do with googledocs. I created a weekly plan in a spreadsheet and then duplicate and change it each week. I through in a Term over view as well. I have 3 sheets per week; my weekly overview, literacy plan and maths plan. I no longer print anything but view, add comments and edit in google drive on my ipad when teacher. May main planning I complete on my laptop but use both tools to view and edit. It works very well for me.

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 4:25pm ()

I tried the google docs and set up tables on the template but google drive on the ipad wont allow you to edit a table, it does not have that function yet.

I like things to be all neat in boxes, good old teacher and found just a form had no structure.

Can you let me know how you got around this? As I have been trying to figure it out or buy Go Docs as this seems to allow editing in all forms?

• Claire Howison (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 4:43pm ()

Hi Josie

I use a spreadsheet rather than a word doc as it enables me to add tabs for the weeks along the bottom. I can edit it fine in google drive on my ipad. I think it looks pretty ( I am a neat freak too). I colour code my boxes and have reading and maths templates I am really ahppy with as additional tabs along the bottom.

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 5:00pm ()

I was going to suggest a google spreadsheet but Claire bet me to it - we taught together and this was superb. The advantage is you can set up a template, then duplicate it and all that - but also you can integrate your ongoing assessment/reporting/contacts into that spreadsheet so a lot of your classroom admin is in one place. 

• Leanne Stubbing (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 7:18pm ()

I'd love to see a screen shot of what that looks like (as a google spreadsheet) if anybody was willing to share...

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 11:50am ()

Here you go Leanne -  this shows only the LTP and weekly formats - the tabs at the bottom are for the other parts, plus you can make news ones to suit yourself.

Best way is to actually click the link below to the spreadsheet here though and play with it....

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 10:21pm ()

Hi there, I used to use an excel spreadsheet but since the start of this year I'm using google calendar and won't go back. I have set up a scalendar planning calendar.  You can add as much detail as you want, add links and attachments. It's easy to add camp etc.  

i have set up a basic timetable for the term and then I add details, delete etc weekly / daily. Easy and user friendly. 

cheers

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 11:10pm ()

These sound great I haven't used spreadsheet before, would anyone be willing to share or like was asked take a screenshot of what looks like?

thanks

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 9:35am ()

Yep I've got examples of this I can share with you - drop me an email robcnz@gmail.com

I may make a blog post about this issue so it is a tutorial for others to use.

Rob

• Claire Howison (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 11:15am ()

I have copied and pasted some templates used for planning over the years and published it for you to look at. The link is

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AsPxH9V_0DOvcHl1UzRHdExTNWpkT0Vpa2NMc2c0SFE&output=html

Of course it looks a little different in googledocs with the tabs along the bottom just like a regualr excel spreadsheet. It is very easy to modify, create and use.

• Philippa Cowper (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 11:38am ()

Thanks for sharing the google spreadsheet, I can now picture what it could look like away from the black folder, am looking forward to trying some templates.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 11:59am ()

Thank you so much for sharing this example with us.

It is a great exemplar for how we might use Google Spreadsheets.

Cheers

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 5:14pm ()

Here's the slightly different version I was talking about - it is empty ready to use and has instructions on the first tab which you can delete once you've read them:

Classroom Planning Example - blank with instructions.

To copy it - simply go to File > make a copy, then rename it as you like.

There are heaps of cool things you can do with spreadsheets to make life easier - I particularly like conditional formating, which is when you put a certain value into a cell (e.g. a reading level) and the cell changes colour automatically.

If you have questions you can comment on this document and I will endeavour to answer/help. I'd be particularly interested in making the instructions more clear for people.

Anyone who emailed me directly will be shared the document directly. I will see if I can do a tutorial next week, time pending.

• Julie Mynes (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 9:38pm ()

Fantastic, thanks Rob.   Love using spreadsheets - agree, its amazing what you can do with them.  Saw something similar to this on the Apple Bus Tour a few years back, think it was at Selwyn Ridge.   Very organised.  Thanks for sharing it - will definitely reconsider using it for my planning.  Your template is great!

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 17 Aug 2013 10:15am ()

Hi all,

I haven't made it to creating a tutorial for those who wanted one this week. I'm going offline for a couple of weeks and promise to make something for those who wanted it when I return, which will be late Sept/early Oct.

Rob

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 12:32pm ()

The first instruction in the instruction tab on this template referred to a 'template' which has been corrected to:

In your browser window, go to File>Make a copy...

...which is the first thing to do to start using/playing with the template Cool

• Rachel O'Connell (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 9:56pm ()

Thanks so much for sharing Claire.  Just wondering if you could give me a quick tip on how to begin creating a template?  Been using google docs for a while but nothing this fancy with all the tabs etc. Cheers, Rachel

• Jo Dudley (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 11:30am ()

Hi. Have you tried Livebinders: http://www.livebinders.com/ It takes Google docs, Prezi, Videos, images, web pages, PDFs, Wordles etc and looks great. Am looking at it myself for storage. In the past I have used the Knowledge Net portal for all of what you are looking for, set it all up on my home page and used their calendars, but we are moving away from that now. Hope to set up Livebinders soon so will let you know how it goes. Cheers, Jo

Join this group to contribute to discussions.