Search

School network support - who maintains your ICT network?

• Public
Started by Rebecca Ronald 01 Aug 2013 8:47pm () Replies (12)

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether you use an external organisation for ICT network support at your school, what company you use, and what level of support they provide? I'm looking investigating options for a network upgrade at my current school.

Rebecca

Replies

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2013 9:35am ()

We use internal expertise (me, the geeky DP) for daily stuff and "ask a kid" is good too, for quick stuff. I can usually work out why the server has gone down and restart.  I used to be just an e_learning girl but have learned to trouble shoot and get my hands dirty under the bonnet! Our aim is that more teachers will become confident to do the same; at the moment we still have problems which could be fixed by:

1. Restarting the machine

2. Checking your wireless is connected

3. Did you remember to login?

For the rest, I have an SBS Tech come in once a week for a day, and we work well together.  He and i work out priority needs and noone is meant to approach him without going through me (to avoid the "Did you try switching it on?" issues).

He also can deal with a lot of issues by remote access so can fix things when he's offsite.

Where are you? It pays to find out from local schools who the best techs are.  My advice is to use people who are involved with schools as they understand the needs and problems.  Interview them first.  You don't want to be talked into doing something where you lose control. $60-$80 seems to be the usual hourly rate. (We are in the wrong job.)

I agree with Conor's opinion of onsite techs.  They don't always know what other schools are doing, aren't often aware of teacher and student needs and can be gatekeepers, who everyone listens to and are often scared to approach.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 04 Aug 2013 11:53pm ()

SBS are Rotorua based - so look locally!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.