Search

School network support - who maintains your ICT network?

• Public
Started by Rebecca Ronald 01 Aug 2013 8:47pm () Replies (12)

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether you use an external organisation for ICT network support at your school, what company you use, and what level of support they provide? I'm looking investigating options for a network upgrade at my current school.

Rebecca

Replies

• Fastpaddy (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2013 10:49pm ()

Hi Rebecca

We used to have a full time IT technician employed at the school. When he left we decided to look at an external organisation for IT support. We decided to go with New Era IT. We now have a technician for 30 hours a week. At the same time we went with New Era, we got them to source and install a new server and transfer all our records files etc over to the new server. While the technician employed by the school was very smart with computers, everything he did was non-standard. Unfortunately he was a barrier to learning rather than a support as he tightly controlled access. This has changed with having an external provider who have a service focus rather than an employee protecting his patch focus. The organisation also has access to expert advice and years of experience with school IT systems which helps as quite often they have seen it all before.

Hope this helps

Conor (St John's College)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.