Search

An amazing story about the power of technology to open up a whole new world

• Public
Started by Leigh Hynes 23 Jul 2013 12:22pm () Replies (2)

This video from Upworthy made me think about all the students with autism I have taught and never could reach.  If only I knew then....

http://www.upworthy.com/so-if-her-parents-had-given-up-they-never-would-have-seen-this?c=ufb1

Replies

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2013 2:48pm ()

Thank you Leigh for sharing this documentary,

I saw this one a few years ago, but now my thoughts move to the development of mobile devices and what impact they are probably now having on Carlie's life and many more kids who are non-verbal.  To enable communication that goes where she goes will open up a whole new world for her all over again. 

Carlie

I also see from this clip that perseverance pays off with realistic motivations, I have often heard teachers or parents say "they don't need their communication device, because we know what they want" My question is: do THEY not need it or do YOU not need it?

Expecting Carlie to type to get something she wants helped her develop the connection between communication and having control of her world. The more expressive communication this is supported the more likely a breakthrough will be made. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.