Search

apps for ECE

• Public
Started by Heather Bell 22 Jul 2013 1:39pm () Replies (3)

Can anyone answer this query please? I have a centre that wants apps for sight words and early reading and literacy skills for kindergarten and early school entry levels.  Thanks, Heather 

Replies

• Heather Bell (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2013 2:17pm ()

Totally agree Tara - it's against my beliefs but it is their request.  I'll massage their thinking once i start working with them but in the meantime I just don't have the head to think of the skills based things they have asked for, hence the cry for help.  It's also why I can't find anything that fits :)

I have my old favs doodle buddy, sock puppets, book creator (or story creator) in my bucket so far and I'm sure they will get better results with these in developing literacy awareness.  I also encourage children to use the video and camera and then tell stories about these.  

Appreciate the feedback.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2013 2:03pm ()

Hi Heather

Ideally the apps should be kept as open-ended as possible so that young children engage in literacy learning in a range of ways. Apps, such as puppet pals, Sock puppets etc, strenghten oral literacy and support children telling their own story.  Other apps, such as book creator or My Story support children's literacy knowlege as well and a fantastic for supporting home languages.

Some resources that might help are:

Exploring Apps Blog

To iPad or not to iPad - pilot investigation in ECE

Join this group to contribute to discussions.