Search

1 ipad - 25 year 6/7/8 students

• Public
Started by Buffy T 20 Jul 2013 7:39pm () Replies (12)

Hi

I have 1 ipad in my class of 25 6/7/8 students.  Can anyone please offer me some advice on how to use this single device effectively in class?  I have a mimio board/laptop and data projector.  I really want to make use of these devices in meaningful ways.

Any advice would be appreciated,

:-)

Replies

• Enchante (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2013 10:32pm ()

It's just an adapter

http://store.apple.com/nz/product/M9320G/A/apple-mini-dvi-to-vga-adapter

plug that in and stick your normal vga to vga cable into the projector. 

Also, here is the multi way headphone jack i was talking about earlier. I don't know where my AP got it from but can ask when school starts again. 

• Buffy T (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2013 12:09pm ()

Is this cable so you can mirror what is on the ipad?  What is the name of the cable you have?

• Buffy T (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2013 12:07pm ()

Thanks for sharing that.  A set up like this would be great.  I'd love to hear what set up you use.  This set up sounds great to increase the number of students that can use the ipad at one time.

• Enchante (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2013 10:34pm ()

Just letting you know, most multiway headjacks like the belkin rock star aren't really that good. In electonics terms it's like a series circuit, each headphone jack is leeching volume from the device, plug in 5 headphones and you are dividing the volume into 5ths, so it gets quieter and quieter each addition headphone you plug in. 

I have one in my class that is great (doesn't split the volume), will try and find the brand and where you can get them.

• Brendon White (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2013 10:13pm ()

We have exactly the same in our yr6/7/8 class of 25 students.  We started last term and have lots of tips we can share.

email me - principal@puke.school.nz

• Sandie Haddock (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2013 10:03pm ()

Hi buffy

one of my early purchases was a cable to plug my ipad in through my projector.  This way I could share apps with the class rather than all trying to look at one device.  Latest purchase from Noel leemings - belkin rock star, a jack point that can be pmugged into iPad and can have 5 sets of headphones - modern day listening post!  Looking forward to trying this out next term.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2013 9:40pm ()

Kia Ora again Buffy. 

Just take it gently. As Josie said think first about which learners you particularly want to engage or motivate and start there with an app or task to suit their specific needs. 

As you gain confidence with using the iPad in your class you can dip back into these resources to see what else you can use for your learners. 

If you have specific learners or needs in mind ask the group. There are 1000 eager members in this group to help you. : )

• Buffy T (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2013 9:03pm ()

Hi Catriona,

Thank you for these links to resources.  It is overwhelming with so much info to make sense of and I am not sure where to start so I can use this one device effectively with my learners.  Thanks again for these great links and info.

A quick question,

How has your experience of 1 ipad in a class been as far?  Has it improved student learning or affected your classroom positively/negatively in regards to student motivation and engagement?

Much appreciated,

Buffy 

• Buffy T (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2013 8:04pm ()

Thanks for your advice.  I will look at what I want specific students to develop and then go from there.  Am about to check out your blog.

Tahnsk a bunch

Buffy

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2013 8:03pm ()

Kia Ora Buffy I have been working in a school where they all have just one iPad in each class and have collected these resources for them to use. 

62-ideas-for-using-the-ipad-in-the-classroom

http://www.slideshare.net/deang33/62-interesting-waystouseanipadinthecla

Teaching in a one iPad classroom.

http://thinkshareteach.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/teaching-in-one-ipad-classroom.html

29 Ways to Use the Only iPad in the Classroom

http://www.techlearning.com/default.aspx?tabid=67&entryid=5189

hope they are useful for you too. : ) 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.