Search

Science Fair.

• Public
Started by Catriona Pene 02 Jul 2013 8:06pm () Replies (6)

I must admit to a small groan of despair when my third son brought home the paperwork for what would be our 9th round of science fair (my 3 sons - 3 years each doing it at school) and it got me thinking about how we can better be integrating e-learning into the very traditional science fair model.

My son (with my encouragement) has included QR codes on his science fair boards with links to supporting videos, sites and interviews relating to his research. I hope they are well received!

And today I was fortunate to be in a classroom helping students to discover iMovie when I viewed their completed science fair boards - "What about making movie trailers promoting your science fair projects?" I asked. "Yes" was the resounding reply. Here are the first two finished ones.

Tell us what you think.

How have you used tehnology in your science lessons recently?

Replies

• Chris Le Cren (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2013 9:22am ()

Hi Catriona. Excellent ideas for integrating e-learning into a Science Fair project. I especially liked the way the first child managed to very succinctly and creatively communicate the hypothesis, method, results and conclusion. Brilliant!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2013 6:57pm ()

Thanks Chris - I too was amazed at how effectively the investigation could be conveyed in such a short video. : ) Can't wait to see more completed.

• Shelley Hersey (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2013 5:07pm ()

Hi Catriona, what a great idea, thanks for sharing and I agree. I think we need to look beyond the traditional science fair project and think about what we are really trying to achieve with Science Fairs. Yes these investigations allow students to follow a set scientific process in much the same way as scientists throughout the world do. But just think how much more motivated some students would be if they were encouraged to create videos, use time lapse, create photo collages, and digitise their log books. It's all about capturing that awe and wonder that is such an inherent part of any good science programme.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2013 8:22pm ()

Thanks Shelley, I love your ides of using timelapse and video logs to bring the science fair project into the 21st century. I am no science expert but I am sure the initial intent of science fair was to cultivate a love of, and curiousity for science.

Lets bring the awe and wonder, as you mentioned, back to science fair!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2013 4:17pm ()

These are wonderful examples, thank you so much for sharing Catriona.

Last year, Room 17 from Ross Intermediate won the Yr 7/8 category for a Short Documentary in the Manawatu Digi Awards, when they showcased their school Science Fair.

It won for every good reason, this is a slick and well-filmed documentary with lots to learn about science.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.